PDA

View Full Version : Panicking at work ...

wheredidthiscomefrom
03-08-15, 12:25
I need some reassurance as I'm panicking at work and I'm not sure what to do.

I've had some issues (both 'real' and 'anxiety' related) in the past with my chest. Briefly my left lung first collapsed 3 years ago, then again in Jan 2014, and I had to have a pleurodesis in April 2014 to prevent it happening again. Since then I've experienced a lot of pain and anxiety around the center / right side (opposite side to my lung problem) of my chest. I've been to A&E a few times as the pain was really sharp, and I was convinced 'something' was wrong. Each time I've been told its pleurisy or costochondritis.

More recently I've been concerned about my heart after experiencing some heart palpitations. I've had a few ECGs and blood tests and convinced the consultant I'd been seeing regarding my lungs to refer me for a 24h holter monitor. The monitor picked up "some rare premature beats" and no more appointments were required.

At the same time I was referred to receive some CBT to help with the health anxiety which has/did helped.

From March or so this year the chest pain resided and from May I, on suggestion of my CBT therapist, started jogging again (something I hadn't dared do for years). I was still getting the palpitations, but they were mainly in the evening, and were subsiding to more of a 'flutter'. I was running every couple of days and completed the "Couch to 5K" plan and was up to running for around 25-30 mins.

This was until last week, when I decided I'd try doing some "HIT" or "high intensity training" - the plan was to run for 15 seconds at maximum effort, rest for 60 seconds, and repeat 10 times. I managed 8 times before I started feeling a "sensation" in my chest and felt REALLY tired. The "sensation" has hung around until yesterday when it developed into more of a pain, much like I used to get. Today I feel like a tingling / burning sensation and its making me panic.. I'm worried its not "just" costochondritis but its a heart attack or something. I'm only 33 and I wanna see my twin baby girls grow up.... I'm sitting at work and I don't know if I should call the doctor for an appointment or not...

I really don't to start all this pain and anxiety again from scratch :weep::weep::weep:

sial72
03-08-15, 13:13
If you have recently had a halter and docs weren't concerned you will more than likely be ok, but because of your "real" health issues you might want to see your doc about it and just let him know you need reassurance and ask him about Hit
That is what I would do anyway xx

MyNameIsTerry
03-08-15, 22:28
HIT is far far harder than jogging, its meant to push you to your limits. A large part of this is trying to maximise your cardiovascular and keep a higher resting rate. At first if it's going to be tough so you are going to notice things.

Someone who does one form of exercise will adjust to it but it doesn't make they fit in other exercises, put a marathon runner on a cycle and see just how they aren't as fit as they thought. This is why cross training is a big hit. Some exercises, complement others e.g. running & cycling. If you add sprints to your jogging you increase your cardiovascular beyond that of jogging alone and you end up a stronger athlete for it.

So, someone starting HIT is going to see how their current fitness doesn't always translate to such an intense exercise.

You could always reduce the intensity and build up.

MetalYeti
04-08-15, 08:37
I get costochondritis, it's horrible and scary and can feel really different from one incident to the next, sometimes it's obvious and I don't worry about it, recognising it for what it is, but sometimes it feels like a pain really deep in the chest and it can really freak me out even though I know it's not dangerous at all . I workout fairly regularly and have fallen into that trap that MyNameIsTerry mentioned where you assume you're pretty fit and are therefore surprised when you find your limits are pushed by something. I've found a connection between the costo chest pains and me not controlling my breathing properly. Basically if I push myself until I'm really panting, those great big breaths I'm taking are ripping at the damaged cartilage in my sternum and setting off the costochondritis. Makes sense when you think about it, but it's very easy to freak out when you start getting chest pains. Obviously I'm not saying don't go to the doctors though, if you have other issues it's best to check, but just something to bear in mind if you're otherwise in good health.