PDA

View Full Version : Hi

Jimbo
05-02-07, 13:50
Hi all, my first post here. [8D]

Thought I'd say hello and post a bit about me.

I came across this site after loads of browsing the net for a good forum for panic & anxiety sufferers. I'm a bit of a forum monkey and been feeling a bit lonely recently, trapped in my house for fearful of going out and panicking.

I got diagnosed with panic disorder and depression about 6 months ago. I always kinda knew I had been depressed for years but never had the guts to do anything about it. I've always had a fear of doctors, psychiatrists and the stigma of being mentally ill. I guess I probably should have done something about it a long time ago, but I kept ignoring it and pushing all the terrible feelings away. It all finally caught up with me 6 months ago and I've had an awful time, ever since then.

It all started with a series of terrible migraines and panic attacks at work. I felt anxious all the time and had been having thoughts of suicide, self harming and feeling like I just couldn't go on any more. I had a very stressful job working in the financial world and I just felt like I couldn't face getting up and going in to work any more.

At first I didn't know what the heck was going on, I was convinced I was going mad. Out of desperation I got the courage to go see the doctor and saw another GP as my normal doctor wasn't available. He asked me a few questions and said that he thought I was depressed and had been having panic attacks. I wasn't surprised to be honest, but just wanted it all to stop. He talked about counselling, anti-depressants and signed me off work for a week. I went back to see him a week later and he suggested I try Fluoxetine (Prozac) to see if that would help. I was initially a bit concerned about taking this sort of thing but agreed to give it a try...

Bad mistake, after a couple of days I started to feel worse, I was having terrible side effects. Sweating, feeling like my skin was on fire and in a constant state of absolute terror. I went back and saw my normal GP who said I was having a bad reaction to the Prozac and I stopped taking it immediately. She said she didn't think Prozac was the right thing and said I should wait till it was out of my system and try something else. I was a bit worried about trying anti-depressants again but I was prepared to do anything to stop the awful feelings I was having. So after a couple of weeks of not feeling much better I started on Citalopram, this didn't really seem to do much except make my headaches and general anxiety worse to begin with, but after the initial side effects wore off it was doing absolutely nothing.

After weeks off work and nothing changing I finally got an appointment to see the practise counsellor. She was great and so many things about my life and childhood came up that I hadn't even realised were causing me so much pain. It was good and bad talking about it all, brought back some awful feelings I had forgotten about, but at least allowed me to realise what was going on and some sort of idea as to why.

Eventually my counselling finished, I was on a fairly high dose of Citalopram, taking Amiltriptyline and sleeping tablets in the evenings as I was hardly sleeping but still wasn't feeling any better. I felt like I wasn’t getting anywhere and one evening I drank a whole bottle of whiskey and took the entire packet of sleeping tablets. Obviously my attempt to end it didn’t work as I’m still here now.

At hat point, my GP referred me to the local mental health department to see a psychiatrist. I spent weeks worrying about the appointment and eventually it arrived. I turned up and the psychiatrist was an Indian guy who somehow talked me into having 2 students sit in on the consultation (god knows how he persuaded me!). It was possibly the most horrible experience of my life having to talk about all the nasty stuff that had gone on in my life and how I was feeling. I felt the guy was so uncaring and clinical in the way he talked to me, but I guess that’s what psychiatrists do. I managed to get through it somehow and he confirme

domino
05-02-07, 13:55
Hi jim, welcome to n.m.p. you will find that we are all "cool" here, you will get lots of advice here, and make lots of friends along the way, always remember you are never alone with n.m.p.:D WELCOME

trac67
05-02-07, 14:11
Hi,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends.

Take care

Trac xx

'Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain'

Jimbo
05-02-07, 14:28
Hey thanks peeps,

Good to know there's some kind people out there. :D

Jim

yorkylover
05-02-07, 14:38
Hi Jim and welcome;):);)

Ellen XX

manmoor
05-02-07, 14:55
Hi Jim,

A big warm welcome to you.

"When There Was Only One It Was Then That I Carried You."

jo61
05-02-07, 14:57
You're amongst friends here. Welcome. You'll get to meet lots of people who are in the same boat as yourself.

Jo

wobily_lin
05-02-07, 15:26
elo Jim,

Welcome to the site..great advice n support here n ul make some gud friends that totally understand. glad ta hav ye onboard.tc x

Take care,
Lin xxx
"Fear is dat lil darkroom, wer negatives r developed", so positive thoughts okies!!!!!

ceecee
05-02-07, 15:42
hi jim
welcome to the forum
you,ll find lots of great advice here!!!!
you,re not alone,many people here know how hard it is to beat this thing,but we will one day!
take care
rach x

Jimbo
05-02-07, 15:47
Thanks again for taking the time to read my epic post,

This site is great, although slightly overwhelming, it's so huge it's kinda hard to know where to start!

It's great to hear from so many other people who are going through the same thing as me, I don't feel so alone now. I already feel like I know some of you from reading through so many posts. :)

Jim

Jimbo
05-02-07, 17:02
Maybe I should properly introduce myself rather than just going on about my problems... I was feeling a bit emotional earlier and I just had to get that out. :)

I live in Southampton, originally from Taunton in Somerset.
I'm a bit of computer geek/freak, play a lot of World Of Warcraft (probably too much!). Have a few websites here and there, and spend far to many hours bashing my playstation controller and keyboard. I'm always the guy that my mates call when their routers don't work or Excel decides to go on a Bill Gates induced bender.
I used to be a fairly outdoor type person, did a lot of hiking and rock climbing, although I haven't done any of that in ages.
I love music of all types mainly rock and metal, my MP3 collection is gradually taking over my hard drive, have been listening to loads of wierd stuff recetly, like Ajen Lucassen (Star One, Ayreon), Hawkwind, Pink Floyd, etc.
I play guitar (badly) and try to write music when I'm feeling inclined.

I'm a tall skinny guy, long blonde hair, maybe I'll post a pic sometime if I have the guts to :P

Thats all I can think of, lol!

Jim

nomorepanic
05-02-07, 17:15
Hi Jim

Welcome aboard and thanks for the intro and information about yourself.

You will soon find you way around here so don't worry. Have you discovered the website as well??

Lovely to see you here and you will get loads of support and meet some fab people.

Nicola

People will forget what you said
People will forget what you did
But people will never forget how you made them feel

Jimbo
05-02-07, 17:35
Yeah, i have seen the main website. I came across it a few months ago during an anxious sleepless night while trying to distract myself by surfing the web. It's got some great info on it. I only just noticed the forum here.

It seems like the best website devoted to this horrid illness I've seen. Keep up the good work.

Gonna come back tomorrow and make a few posts to releive my boredom of sitting home alone while my housemates are at work. I have a doctors apt on Wed and of course I'm worrying about that. Reading all the posts and stories here makes me feel a little less alone and as though there might be some hope for me.

Jim