PDA

View Full Version : Question about therapy

heths
05-02-07, 14:02
I first saw a psycologist for depression and panic attacks from the age of 14/15. We had our last session when I didn't have panic attacks or depression anymore.

A few years later I was in a stressful job and I started with the panic attacks again. I eventually became agoraphobic which I have been for the past 3 years.

I've been having therapy for agoraphobia and ocd and I've been told that we need to prepare for it ending. Which will probably not be for a few months yet. But I've been told that when I finish therapy I'll be left at a satisfictory level and also at a stage where I can carry on working on getting better myself.

Has anyone else had therapy end in that way? I thought it would be like last time, where it went on until I felt better and was able to live a normal life.

Heather x

lass
05-02-07, 20:06
I've just finished my counselling (last week) and although I am much improved, I'm by no means cured! I did feel that the counselling (with some CBT exercises) had done all that it probably would for me, and my counsellor has left me with skills on how to cope when I am particularly anxious again. She has also recommended some books - a series called "overcoming ..." (overcoming anxiety, overcoming low self esteem, overcoming panic, etc). I have ordered some and they have just arrived (from Amazon). Having had a quick look through, there are lots of scenarios and what to do ifs ...

But I have been told that if I need more help, I only have to ask, so I don't feel like I've been thrown out in the cold.

Hopefully you will also have the same reassurance that if you need someone, they are there for you.

Caroline

heths
06-02-07, 09:41
Thank you Caroline,

Hopefully they will. I guess it's a good thing they're preparing me for the end of the therapy.

Those books sound good, i'll have a look on amazon at those.

Heather x