PDA

View Full Version : Have I developed asthma? Hard to breath!

Orange Lightning
04-08-15, 08:39
I keep getting attacks where my airways close up amd fll with mucus, and I simply cannot get enough air in. It isn't hyperventilation, I know how that feels. Attempting to ignore it causes my vision to narrow and my body forces me to gasp. I took Diazepam for it when a doctor blamed anxiety and became a hundred times worse. I could literally feel the airway tissue closing, and an ambulance had to help me through.

It seems to be connected to the hot weather or relaxing my body; being in a hot shower, lying in bed with duvets over me and windows/doors closed, being out in the morning and being in a car all affect me. Ice cream helped me the other day for a while. Is it normal to feel breathless in too hot weather, or do I have asthma and haven't realised for such a long time..!! All attempts to search for answers say you must have a breathing problem in the first place for heat to affect you!

wnsos
04-08-15, 11:54
Could be hay fever - my chest gets very mucusy and blocked this time of year and sometimes I really do have trouble breathing or swallowing. I thought for a few years that it was something awful but I'm realising it generally happens around the same time every year. The pollen is crazy this year.

MyNameIsTerry
05-08-15, 04:29
No, you don't need to have a preexisting breathing problem to be affected by heart. Anyone who has gone from a cold climate to a hot one knows it takes time for your body to adjust.

Asthma is a possibility so it would be wise to talk to your GP about this. If it's very easy to diagnose and anxiety won't stop the tests for it.

Asthma is am inflammatory problem and additional mucus secretion takes place when irritated. This can also happen due to allergies but those same allergies can be triggers for an asthma sufferer. Hence a GP needs to do some tests.

It's not so much that you can't breath in, it's more that you can't breath out. We breath out with more force hence the relevance of a peak flow test.

Even if you do have asthma please don't worry about it because it is so common and has been since it stated being hailed as an epidemic when I was at school and I'm 39! I've had it for around 30 years now and rarely had any issues with it, even since my anxiety disorder started. It is very controllable and if you are diagnosed, it will become stabilised after a short while. People run marathons with it these days! It's only severe cases that need a lot of treatment and these are the minority and you would know easily if that were you and so would any doctor as you would need a lot of help now.