PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety and Diet

davidthegnome
05-02-07, 14:11
Hi folks, good morning. Morning here anyway, in Northern Maine in the USA.

Have any of you ever noticed a big decrease in diet as you're going through anxiety? Some times it's hard for me to eat. I usually have an orange or something in the morning, tend to skip lunch and then have a small dinner. I used to be much hungrier and eat more. Lately though I find myself not as hungry as I was. I mean, maybe that's good in a way, but this big decrease in appetite makes it difficult for me to eat three meals a day as I probably should.

I drink lots of water and avoid caffeine and alcohol like the plague. I also avoid aspartame and all that stuff. I have lost around thirty pounds in two months (was chubby before) and now am just feeling kind of down. It's good that I lost weight, but having so little appetite is a pain and makes me worry about my health.

I'm sure my smoking habbit has something to do with it as well. Though I've tried numerous times to give up the smoking, I haven't been able to yet.

Well, I guess that's all I've really got to say. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with this?

Good luck and God bless you all,

David

Elle
05-02-07, 14:34
Hi David
Yes, I think that anxiety does reduce appetite. I guess that if you're at your correct weight now then you don't want to lose any more. I strongly feel that we are at our worse in winter when day length is short. Hopefully your anxiety will diminish and your appetite improve when the days lengthen.

As for smoking, well it must be terribly hard to give up. Have you ever tried?

By the way I loved your description of where you are, it sounds like paradise. Lakes and pine trees - wonderful!

Elle

Brandy snap
05-02-07, 14:50
I've just bought a copy of Gillian McKeith's 'You Are What You Eat' (she has a series of the same name running on TV in England at present, which I always watch). It contains lots and lots of info and recipes for healthy eating. Hope this helps. Love Brandy Snap xx

weepinky
05-02-07, 17:14
Hi David

You could perhaps try some fruit smooties, soups and milky drinks they are nutricious and easy to get down when you don't have much appetite hun.

Hope you feel better soon.

Luv Pinky

Yesterdays history, Tommorows a mystery, today is a gift, thats why its called the present.

Elle
05-02-07, 20:16
Sorry David, just re-read your comment. You said that you did try to give up. I missed that first time, I was doing too many jobs at once on the net.

Elle

mooks
05-02-07, 20:26
i feel like i may throw up near food and go days without eating when my anxiety is high...smoke far too much wish I could give up

cattttt
06-02-07, 06:44
Anxiety has definately made me eat less, trouble is, I've been getting into the junk food, been a bit better recently and tried high energy healthy food, large quantities of veges etc are a bit beyond me at the moment.

Ma Larkin
06-02-07, 16:16
Here in the UK they do "Build-Up" drinks, which contain all the proteins and vitamins you need. They do them in shake form and even soups and snack bars. My Granny used to drink Complan, which her GP prescribed for her when she was a little off her food, this is more or less the same as the build up drinks and you can get these from most supermarkets or chemists.

Hope you start to feel better soon.

Les

seeker
06-02-07, 17:01
Hello David,
smoking is an appetite suppresant - why all the models smoke! If you did manage to stop, or even cut down, i'm sure you would find your appetite improved. i have stopped smoking, and am hungry again - it's great!

davidthegnome
07-02-07, 17:45
Seeker, how did you quit smoking? I tried EFT without much results. Was able to go without a smoke for only four hours before I really felt like I had to have one. I'd definitely like to quit, but I've been warned by therapists and such that trying to quit at a time like this (with anxiety and the panic attacks) could give me more anxiety.

ksmith
07-02-07, 21:19
Hi David Gnome

I gave up smoking last July (and I was a big smoker for 23 years) and now I can't STOP eating!! I had acupuncture ..... give it a go.

Kay x