PDA

View Full Version : Struggling...

humbug83
04-08-15, 12:31
I'm really struggling at the moment to accept that there is nothing wrong with my physical health.

Since November last year, I have experienced various symptoms and sensations. It started with dizziness and feeling off balance, I went to the walk-in centre and was diagnosed with ear infection and mild labyrinthitis. Since then, the off balance feeling has been intermittent but I have had other symptoms and sensations too, such as palpitations/fast heartrate, shaking/tremors, sweaty palms, wobbly legs, visual disturbances, dry retching, headaches, crying a lot, clingy to my family etc.

Things got worse before I was due to go on holiday with my sister and her two children in May (to Haven in Devon). I was catastrophising and worrying about it a lot and my symptoms seemed to got worse. During and after the holiday, I felt a bit better.

Since then, things have come and gone. One month it seems to be I'm worrying about having a heart attack, the next it is a brain tumour!

There have been times when I have felt almost normal again and other times when I have really struggled with everything.

When my mum and dad went away for a week to Somerset, I had a few panic attacks. I was worried that something would happen to me (or them) whilst they were away.

I have had a couple of ECGs and blood tests since November. The ECGs showed heart rate in 90s and the blood tests were normal. I am currently awaiting CBT and an ENT referral on the NHS (I saw the ENT consultant twice privately - he didn't really come up with any diagnosis, but said I had signs of Eustachian Tube Dysfunction and decided to get further investigations done through the NHS i.e. hearing test/possible MRI).

I have had two eye tests at different opticians last month which were both fine.

At present, I am suffering from feeling wobbly and off balance quite a lot (I felt lopsided last week and worried about a stroke!). I feel like my legs are going to give way and that I need to sit down a lot and light headed. Also been a bit shaky again recently. Also, headache twinges and a bit queasy. Last week, I had chills a few days with goosebumps on my arms even though I felt warm!

I went to my doctor again yesterday (I have never been to my doctor so much as I have in the last few months). I told her I had been worried about having a brain tumour and some things I had read recently online had made me worse where people had been misdiagnosed with anxiety and then it was discovered months later that they had a brain tumour. She said brain tumours are actually quite rare and said it is unlikely I would have one. She checked my blood pressure and said it was slightly low (I've been worrying about that ever since!). I am going to have another blood test on Friday and I also said I would like a urine test too.

She said she would try and get in touch with the CBT team about getting an appointment sooner (the wait is 3-4 weeks currently) and suggested I ring the consultant's NHS secretary to find out what his waiting list is like and then she can get in touch with them about moving me up the list if necessary. I asked for a referral to a neurologist but she said the waiting list for that would be even longer and as the ENT consultant had mentioned possibly doing a scan then it would probably just be better to wait for that. I feel worried that if there is something physically wrong that hasn't been diagnosed, that it will cause irreparable damage.

My family have been supportive especially my dad. They and my counsellor all say it is caused by stress/anxiety but I can't believe them. My mum and dad get cross with me. I have been getting cross with my family too! My dad says we would know if there was something seriously wrong with me. I feel like people aren't taking me seriously sometimes. I live on my own and get lonely and sometimes feel like I have nobody to turn to. I've been putting on a brave face at work a lot. I don't understand why the symptoms are worse some weeks and then better others!

A few times I've felt hysterical and desperate and have wanted to go to hospital but never went.

Every day I feel like this and I find it hard to cope! I have relaxation techniques to do but can't seem to relax. I'm doing Pilates but last week we had to do exercises on our sides and I felt really wobbly. On a positive note though I have been sleeping and eating well!

I just feel like I want to have all the tests I possibly can for peace of mind to know once and for all if there is anything physically wrong.

Also, I don't know if this is relevant, but I had quite heavy bloody discharge when I blew my nose a few times a couple of months ago and I have been sneezing a lot more than usual lately. Sometimes I get tightness in my face at the top of my nose. I've been having sore/itchy/painful (prickly) and red eyes. Could this be related to sinus problems?

Sorry for the long post.

humbug83
05-08-15, 07:54
Right now I'm worrying about my heart again as I'm getting a few sharp twinges. Yesterday evening my breathing felt a bit shallow and I was dry retching.

Libra
05-08-15, 10:56
Hi Humbug.. I can tell you from experience of long term sinus issues that they can cause all sorts of strange feelings. I get sinus congestion with hot faces which make me feel panicky anyway. Also get head pressure, off balance ,dizzy and whichever side is congested I get watery, uncomfortable eye.I also get neck tension with it.

humbug83
05-08-15, 15:48
Thanks Libra.
What tests did you have to check your sinuses?

I feel physically and mentally exhausted with it all, I just don't know what to do and I just feel helpless!