PDA

View Full Version : can my gp refuse to see me

tricia56
04-08-15, 19:30
Hi as most of you know I am so petrified of taking meds but I went to see gp today because. O was worried about pains and tightness in both my upper arms, I couldn't get in to see my usual gp so I had to see someone else she wasn't interested in my symptoms and started saying that I'm always at the surgery and I need to take meds I tried to tell her how petrified on taking them but she didn't really care and gave me the prescription and said take them and sent me on my way.but now I can't stop worrying and thinking that if I don't take them then the GPS at the surgery will refuse to see me in future if I feel ill ,cany go surgery do that as I'm worrying sick over it now.

Richard1960
04-08-15, 19:41
Hi as most of you know I am so petrified of taking meds but I went to see gp today because. O was worried about pains and tightness in both my upper arms, I couldn't get in to see my usual gp so I had to see someone else she wasn't interested in my symptoms and started saying that I'm always at the surgery and I need to take meds I tried to tell her how petrified on taking them but she didn't really care and gave me the prescription and said take them and sent me on my way.but now I can't stop worrying and thinking that if I don't take them then the GPS at the surgery will refuse to see me in future if I feel ill ,cany go surgery do that as I'm worrying sick over it now.

No they cannot refuse to see you but obviously normal appointment rules apply.

The Doctor concerned sounds as though they were rude to you,"saying you are always here" is not something GPs should be saying,they should just go through why the meds you have should be taken in a calm manner if need be you can i believe book a double appointment so they can spend longer with you .

If you feel strongly about the way you were treated speak to the practice manager who should put your mind at rest.

As for the tablets well if they have prescribed them then you should really be taking them to see if they work,if not they can find one right for you.

Is your illness worse then the effects of the medicine is one thing you cannot know unless you take them.

Richard.:)

ricardo
04-08-15, 19:46
I would take the gentle route as Richard suggests and I believe you should be able to see any doctor you wish to see at the Practice.

Though you can report a doctor through the correct channels, I wouldn't as it could well back fire on you. Doctors tend to hold ranks together.

Hopefully this was just an unlucky bad experience.

SADnomore
04-08-15, 20:00
Here in Canada, at least, yes, they can refuse to see a person. My GP has a sign in his examining rooms which warns that if a patient misses three appointments, then they are at risk of being dropped. To be honest, I have to think that if a patient repeatedly refuses to follow their instructions, then they can justifiably remove them from their patient load. When you think about it from their side, if they are really in it to help people, then if a patient refuses their advice, they may feel their time is being wasted whereas someone new may work with them more in resolving their medical issues.

Maybe you could make an appointment with your regular GP and while there, discuss referral to a psychiatrist, who will be more apt to stick with a person with your issues.
I have to say I will bet once you are working with a psychiatrist or counsellor, your regular GP or another at that practice will be willing to see you with medical problems that need checking out.

You need to try to believe that most aches and pains, tightness, etc. are really very normal, because they are. Everyone gets them. We just don't focus on them. Pain which is sudden and sharp, or illness that features spiking temperatures, vomiting continuously, and the like, those would be reasons to see a doctor, immediately.

Most GPs see patients who have pain and sickness like that, as well as manage their patients with their chronic illnesses like diabetes and heart conditions. They wouldn't want you to go wanting if you were really ill, never think that. But they are very busy with patients who really need their help and are willing to follow through with their orders, and don't want to waste time. It is their responsibility to use their time wisely, that is what they are there for.

Is it an antidepressant they want you to try? You may also feel more comfortable talking to a psychiatrist about your options with any medications. They have more time to talk it out, and a lot more expertise with antidepressants, tailoring of dosages and the like. Plus they help people with your issues all the time, as opposed to the general practitioners. Western medicine is actually geared toward pharmaceuticals, that is what they are trained in. So, if you keep turning up to see medical doctors, you can expect to be offered a prescription and instructions. That's the way it works.

Richard1960
04-08-15, 20:11
Here in Canada, at least, yes, they can refuse to see a person. My GP has a sign in his examining rooms which warns that if a patient misses three appointments, then they are at risk of being dropped. To be honest, I have to think that if a patient repeatedly refuses to follow their instructions, then they can justifiably remove them from their patient load. When you think about it from their side, if they are really in it to help people, then if a patient refuses their advice, they may feel their time is being wasted whereas someone new may work with them more in resolving their medical issues.

Maybe you could make an appointment with your regular GP and while there, discuss referral to a psychiatrist, who will be more apt to stick with a person with your issues.
I have to say I will bet once you are working with a psychiatrist or counsellor, your regular GP or another at that practice will be willing to see you with medical problems that need checking out.

You need to try to believe that most aches and pains, tightness, etc. are really very normal, because they are. Everyone gets them. We just don't focus on them. Pain which is sudden and sharp, or illness that features spiking temperatures, vomiting continuously, and the like, those would be reasons to see a doctor, immediately.

Most GPs see patients who have pain and sickness like that, as well as manage their patients with their chronic illnesses like diabetes and heart conditions. They wouldn't want you to go wanting if you were really ill, never think that. But they are very busy with patients who really need their help and are willing to follow through with their orders, and don't want to waste time. It is their responsibility to use their time wisely, that is what they are there for.

Is it an antidepressant they want you to try? You may also feel more comfortable talking to a psychiatrist about your options with any medications. They have more time to talk it out, and a lot more expertise with antidepressants, tailoring of dosages and the like. Plus they help people with your issues all the time, as opposed to the general practitioners. Western medicine is actually geared toward pharmaceuticals, that is what they are trained in. So, if you keep turning up to see medical doctors, you can expect to be offered a prescription and instructions. That's the way it works.

In the UK mental health services are notoriously underfunded depending on where you live it can take 3 months to over a year to even get an appointment with a psychiatrist.

I would suggest not seeing this GP again and taking the medication.

But you have the right to be spoken to with respect.

Fishmanpa
04-08-15, 20:37
I agree that the insensitivity is not warranted but I also agree about discussing/taking the meds. I posted on another thread of yours about this subject as well. I understand the fear you have about meds but as I said before, something has to give. Obviously, what you're doing now isn't working so maybe it's time to bite the bullet and at least try them. There are several options that can be effective.

It really seems as if that's the choice you have at this point. Do nothing and stay the same or try something and make some headway with your anxiety. The worst that can happen is it doesn't work for you but at least you tried.

People talk about "what if's" a lot here. To me, the worst "what if's" are the ones that you never try. You know how deep the water is and you know how to swim. The worst that can happen is you get a little wet :)

Positive thoughts