PDA

View Full Version : Hypothyroidism?

.Poppy.
07-08-15, 01:00
I am a 24 year old female. Both of my parents take thyroid medication (Synthroid) though they didn't start until they were in their 40s/50s.

Honestly, I don't know if this is something I have issues with or not. I have cystic acne (and have posted about that) that I have had for a long time, and believe is hormonal in nature.

I'm tired a lot, and the other day my mother mentioned that it was strange that I'm tired all the time. Then I happened to see an article about hypothyroidism and how symptoms can include hormonal acne, brain fog, cold extremities, and tiredness, among other things.

I kind of always assumed I was just lazy or spacey or that it was some sort of branch off of my anxiety. There are times, even with things I really like/want to do, where just the thought of getting started makes me feel absolutely exhausted. I get tired early (about 2 pm) and go to bed at 8:30, but am still tired in the morning. I also get spacey and have had times where I'll start a sentence when talking to someone and just....lose it. Almost like I don't know what I want to say to finish it, and I don't have the energy to try.

I'm not terribly *afraid*, but I'm wondering if you think it's odd to have these problems so young? I know there could be a genetic factor, but my parents were older before they started on meds.

I'm going to a dermatologist next Thursday and may mention the idea of hormones/thyroid to them and see what they say. Otherwise I could always talk to my family doctor.

I think most of my anxiety stems from the fact that I am beyond done with these symptoms, especially the acne, and I just want an answer.

Sorry....I guess I just needed to get it out there. :wacko:

Munchlet
07-08-15, 06:46
It could be linked, why don't you mention it to your Dr I know over here they are usually happy to do a Thyroid check especially if there is a family history because it is more common to run in families.

I think Thyroid can start at any age, my friend has it and was diagnosed late 30's but they think her daughter is already showing signs and she is only 16 so I don't think age is relevant.

I would certainly mention it.

Cupcakegirl
07-08-15, 18:42
It'd be wise to mention the familial history to your doctor and get a quick blood test. It's a higher probability for you if both your parents are hypothyroid.
Mine was diagnosed at around 30 and I had a couple of bad years prior to being put on meds.
It's an easy fix, one pill per day, and you'll feel a whole lot better if you indeed are hypothyroid. Better to start treating it early before you start feeling really bad.

countrygirl
07-08-15, 20:21
I devleoped hypothyroidism at age 26 so its not unusual to have it young, It tends to run in families especially the female line and every female in my family has a thyroid condition one way or other.

Its so simple to get it checked just a blood test and even if it showed your did have it then its just tablets for life.

.Poppy.
07-08-15, 20:38
Thanks all! It would be nice honestly if it ended up being that simple. I will mention it and see what happens. Maybe I am just lazy but who knows. I do have certain symptoms where it is clear *something* is going on so its worth a look.

Hypo84
07-08-15, 21:37
I know a couple of ppl who were diagnosed recently with hypothiroidism, around 25-32 in age. But it's not smth you should be scared about. If you think you have it just do blood test and you will find out. Here it's not expensive, don't know how much is in your country.
Anyway, just to repeat, it's not smth scary, deadly or whatever, as you already know I guess since your parents have it...

.Poppy.
07-08-15, 22:56
I'm not really scared of it, I don't necessarily *want* to have it but honestly it would be great to have it all be so simple.

Realistically my symptoms may be far more difficult to treat than I am hoping but its worth a shot.