PDA

View Full Version : Recovery: My Health Anxiety Journey

snowflake293
09-08-15, 08:58
Hi all

I have been posting here on and off since December last year. My health anxiety has been very up and down. I felt a lot better around May time and decided to taper off my 100mg Sertraline. Big mistake. Had a relapse in June/July and back on it now and up to 150mg :doh:

Anyway, I thought it might be useful for other No More Panic members to know about the GOOD things that have happened to me during my long and on-going journey to recover from health anxiety:

My doctor was great and referred me for cognitive behaviour therapy. I have had 12 sessions so far, and I am due to start high intensity CBT soon. It has been a HUGE turning point for me, especially learning how to 'rationalise' my thoughts/fears.

Sertraline has helped me a lot. I didn't like the idea of being on it at first (because I was on Fluoxetine from age 15 - 25) and I didn't want to take antidepressants again as I had been off them for such a long time (I am 31 now). I am so glad I listened to the doctor though, because the Sertraline has honestly helped me get my life back on track and I finally feel I can function normally now.

I can now attend doctors appointments on my own (I used to have to have someone with me) and I don't have panic attacks before (although I do tap/shake!)

Humour has helped. Something my CBT therapist told me once is that if you laugh about something it sort of makes it 'smaller'. Although at the time I have a 'freak out' over a mole/lump - I don't feel like laughing!

I have found exercise has helped me a great deal. When my HA was at its worse, I was afraid to exercise because I thought I would die or sustain a terrible injury! I genuinely believed I was 'too ill' to exercise. I was so wrong. Feeling my body get stronger has boosted my confidence so much. I tell myself how could I possibly be ill if my body is able to run/swim so far? It really helps with all the adrenaline/worry too - nothing feels better than feeling all relaxed after a big swim!

I hope this helps people. Last year I was at rock bottom, and I seriously didn't think I was ever going to get through it. I still believe, deep down, that I have some sort of horrible disease like cancer that will kill me - but the fear is getting smaller and smaller. I feel like I can get on with my life now, but I do still have freak outs - they just aren't as bad as they used to be.

I am hoping once I have had the high intensity CBT I will be well on my way to getting over all this. I am going to keep taking my medication, talking to people and exercising! We can all get through this. It is fear, and fear can be overcome.

xxx

GoWhiteSox
10-08-15, 17:17
great post! it is very encouraging to hear success stories :-)

shaka
10-08-15, 17:41
:emot-cheering: So pleased for you, as GoWhiteSox said encouraging post .

swgrl09
10-08-15, 17:46
Great successes, congratulations!!

Justanutter
10-08-15, 20:25
That's great to hear Snowflake...well done. Can I just ask what the difference is between CBT and the intensive one they have offered? I will finish CBT soon and therapist said I can only have 12 sessions.

wnsos
10-08-15, 22:51
You kick every kind of ass :hugs:

MrAndy
11-08-15, 09:11
well done snowflake