PDA

View Full Version : Passive smoking

Em.ma
09-08-15, 18:12
Hi,

I'm about 7-8 weeks pregnant and I am worried now. I don't smoke and have never smoked. I also make a point not to be around people smoking.

My partner took me to see a friend of his today but forgot to tell me that he smokes. Not wanting to appear rude, I stayed put but now I an really regretting it. I'm so angry at him for not thinking about the pregnancy. The flat was full of smoke and I still have the taste in my mouth two hours later. We where they're for am hour and a half. I'm also angry at my self for not standing up for my self but the man has been in
Hospital for severe mental health issues him self and I felt bad.

He smoked two hand rolled cigarettes in his small flat, but had his balcony door open the whole time.

What are the chances that this will cause any problems to my pregnancy or baby? Thank you.

tmckenzie-orr
09-08-15, 18:17
0.10% next to no chance like you said the door was open, and you wasnt smoking yourself, dont worry yourself

venusbluejeans
09-08-15, 18:31
I think you would have to be arround cigarette smoke for longer than that to cause any damage, the flat would have seemed worse to you if you have not been around people who do smoke in the past

countrygirl
09-08-15, 19:17
Loads and loads of women smoke during pregnancy and they have normal babies! You really have nothing to worry about at all.

sial72
09-08-15, 22:05
Believe it or not but some years ago people weren't clued up about the dangers of smoking and we used to smoke everywhere and around pregnant women. You will be fine as long as it isn't an environment you are in all this time. NOTHING will happen for this one off.
I remember when I was little that doctors used to smoke as you were being checked out and the butcher use to smoke as he was cutting the meat ;-)

Liv7117
09-08-15, 23:58
My mom smoked heavily when she was pregnant with me and all my siblings. There's 5 of us and all of us came out fine and healthy. I don't mean to advocate smoking when pregnant, just trying to put your mind at ease:)

MyNameIsTerry
10-08-15, 02:26
The NHS advise if needs to be stopped in people who live with you. They make no such warning about casual occurrences like this so frequency is obviously key here.

You shouldn't worry about this but asking your GP or midwife is likely to always be the best route.