PDA

View Full Version : Freckle or mole?

Kirbear4
09-08-15, 20:08
I'm so cross with myself for even coming on here as I have been doing so well!

I am concerned about a mark on my shin, it started as a tiny black slightly raised mark, no bigger than a normal freckle (about 2mm x 2mm). I panicked for a couple of days then forgot about it.

Anyway, last night I had an itch. When I looked down it was on the exact spot of my mark, the skin around it was red. The mark is now more of a brown colour and it has what looks like a bit of a line across it with a very slight pick mark like when you pick the head off a bite. The redness has gone now and it hasn't really itched since but now it feels a bit painful to touch but I don't know if that's because I haven't left it alone and I caught it a bit last night.

It is still 2mm x 2mm. I'm not sure if it's more raised than it was.

Is it normal for it to change from black to brown and how do I differentiate between it being a freckle or a mole?!

Kirbear4
11-08-15, 08:32
Anyone?! It is has changed but from black to brown and still has a tiny crater in the middle. Obviously I am going to get it checked but there is a 3 week waiting time to see a Dr

hanshan
11-08-15, 09:49
Freckles are flat, moles are raised. Any change in a freckle or mole should be checked by a doctor - posters here can't advise you concerning possible skin cancers, except in a very general sense. Just wait until you see the doctor, and don't panic - it's unlikely to be serious.

Kirbear4
11-08-15, 10:00
Thank you �� I just didn't know if black to brown wasn't a bad sign as usually you read them turning black from brown as the bad sign! I am seeing a nurse on Friday who can do referrals x

hanshan
12-08-15, 02:42
Freckles usually get darker in summer as they are exposed to stronger light - it's nothing dangerous. Doctors assess a mole on a number of characteristics, not just colour. If there is any doubt, they will have it tested, so try not to worry - it's most likely fine.

Kirbear4
14-08-15, 18:18
I have been to the Doctor this morning, he said the mole is definitely nothing to worry about, the black bit that was in the middle had vanished this morning before I went! The Dr said it's caused by a blocked hair follicle. He has referred me to a dermatologist anyway to do a full check so I can get a 'map' of my moles as such.