PDA

View Full Version : Another mole question...

KayeS
09-08-15, 23:33
So I've been a bit focused on moles lately, as others have been on here lately, I guess because it's summer and the sun's out.

Basically I'll get straight to it. I've found a new mole on my upper leg. It's TINY, absolutely tiny, like 1mm by probably just under a mm... But the thing is about this, it's BY FAR the darkest one I have on my body. Under normal house lighting it actually looks BLACK. I noticed it because of how dark it looks. I shone my phone light on it for a better look and it's VERY DARK brown I guess under that light but from a normal distance, and under normal light it really does look dark... as in the way it sits on my skin, there is such a contrast.

I know it's small, but the reason I'm worried is that surely all moles including dangerous ones have to start tiny and grow right? I am worried this is something dangerous and I've just spotted it at it's earliest stage.... I guess my question here to anyone that knows is, can NORMAL moles be this dark? I know obviously I need to watch it to make sure it's not growing, or changing in any way, and I'm sure at some point I will visit a GP about it and get it looked at by a professional. I KNOW that no one here can give me absolute answers here, but I'm simply wondering if anyone here has had moles that are this dark in the past that have been normal?

tmckenzie-orr
09-08-15, 23:42
I have one like that on the back of my calf, its absolutely tiny, i try not to look at it lol, Just have a rough loook or measure it and then dont look at it for 2 weeks and if its got bigger then u go to the gp, But just because its dark doesnt mean its melonoma, I hate it how we got this stupid obsession, if i stare at any mole and i mean any mole on my body it freaks me out and makes me worry so i try not to look at them, scary scary haha

KayeS
09-08-15, 23:53
It really does look dark though.... like black dark... is yours dark like that?

tmckenzie-orr
10-08-15, 00:12
definately dark, but not like dark black but dark dark dark brown haha, Its like 1mm x 1mm maybe its so small and perfectly round but scary , they all look scary as i said try not to let it bother u ,

KayeS
10-08-15, 00:17
Mine looks dark dark brown when I shine a bright light on it, but in normal light and from normal distance it looks like a black spot... :/

tmckenzie-orr
10-08-15, 00:28
take a pic and post with imageshare and then take another picture in 2 weeks, and dont worry about it tll then its best way

KayeS
10-08-15, 00:49
I'm not gonna post a picture on here but I've measured it and noted that down... It really is tiny, like 0.9mm by 0.7mm or something like that BUT it really is dark, to the point that even at that size it stands out like a sore thumb. Will definitely be keeping an eye on it... Sigh...

Gary A
10-08-15, 04:23
Normal moles can be any size, shape or colour. You could have a 10mm mole with raised irregular edges, differing colours of black and brown, it could be itchy etc, and it could STILL be a perfectly benign mole. Just as 99% of lumps and swellings turn out to be nothing, the same is true for suspicious moles. We are told to get things like this checked because it COULD be a sign of something more sinister. The point is, though, the vast majority of these types of things are perfectly harmless.

A mole that is under 1mm in diameter is not cancerous, simple as that. The golden rule is that anything under 6mm in diameter is harmless, it's when they go bigger that there's a clear evolution. Keep an eye on it, sure, but don't obsess over it. We should all regularly check our moles for signs of change, the key is to not let it consume you. Do it once every couple of months, if you spend your time obsessing over it you'll just be miserable.

KayeS
10-08-15, 10:47
Thanks Gary, I know it's tiny but my worry is that it has to start somewhere right? And because it's a new one also... but I'm going to try hard not to keep checking it and just keep an eye on it in normal intervals lol.