PDA

View Full Version : Panic Attack without Panic?

catsandnaps
10-08-15, 07:47
I have had the notion that a panic attack is caused by panicky thoughts. If I sit and have worrisome thoughts, that's where a panic attack comes from. However, for me, I don't always have panicky thoughts. Sometimes, like tonight, a panic attack just hits, with no prompting of my thoughts. For example, I was watching a game show on TV, and I was kind of enjoying it. Then, my heart rate picks up. I recognize the heart rate, then the other symptoms kick in, and I'm in full-on panic mode.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Anyone have any experience with this idea, or is it just me? For me to believe that panic attacks only happen when I am stressed has caused me to deny I was having panic attacks, if that makes sense. Thanks for any replies, I appreciate it bunches!

Danron
10-08-15, 11:55
Hi, I've definitely experienced that, panic that seams to come from no where, especially on waking. My therapist said that there could have been some subconscious anxious thought that set them off or just being hyper sensitive to body sensations. Eg, your heart rate might have elevated because you were enjoying the show but because your mind associates that feeling with panic it can turn into a panic attack. Hope you start feeling better x

Pepperpot
10-08-15, 12:25
Hi
This is what happens to me.
I don't have worrying thoughts often, I can be doing absolutely anything (yesterday I was on a walk with my sister chatting away when it happened, then I was working from home on the computer an hour before) and I get this rise of something throughout my body. It is freaky and this is why I cannot fully grasp the fact that these are panic attacks.

ricardo
10-08-15, 12:51
Every single panic attack I have ever had over a thirty year + period has come completely out of the blue regardless where I was and I think the majority of people who experience them would say the same. Feeling uneasy or panicky is not the same.

koala
10-08-15, 16:19
I have experienced this so know what you mean. I once started feeling panicy cos someone was hoovering. After thinking about it I was a bit tense at the time as I had an exam coming up and whilst I didn't think I was nervous there must have been a small part of me that was. This small part then turned into full anxiety when I heard the hoover as the hoover reminded me of another similar situation where someone was hoovering and i was feeling anxious. Funny how the brain works.

catsandnaps
11-08-15, 01:42
Hi
This is what happens to me.
I don't have worrying thoughts often, I can be doing absolutely anything (yesterday I was on a walk with my sister chatting away when it happened, then I was working from home on the computer an hour before) and I get this rise of something throughout my body. It is freaky and this is why I cannot fully grasp the fact that these are panic attacks.

Thanks, Pepperpot! This is a more succinct way of what I was trying to describe. I get doubly frustrated when people suggest I just alter my thinking (and I know they're only saying it to be helpful). But it isn't that easy for me to stop them.

I wouldn't be so anxious if I didn't have these panic attacks to worry about, you know?? It's a cycle. Panic attack ---> anxiety about panic ----> another panic attack

anxiousrob
11-08-15, 08:21
I have the same issue, worrying about having a panic attack actually makes me have one...Mine is travel anxiety so I get worked up a few days before I travel, I just need to change my negative thoughts buts that's easier said than done.

Danron
11-08-15, 11:57
It's near on impossible to change your thoughts whe your panicking, you can't rationalise anxiety, so trying not to think negatively probably won't help. It's about trying to change your response to the panic rather than get to the cause of it. Xx hope your feeling better xxc

ricardo
11-08-15, 12:29
When I had CBT the Doctor and I literally argued about full blown panic attacks. She said one could just walk through them as if they didn't exist and I told her that I literally had to sit down even if it was in the street until it passed, and then I was jelly legged. I asked her if she had ever had one and surprisingly she said no.

MrAndy
11-08-15, 12:37
I dont think anybody can fully relate to a full blown panic attack unless they have experienced one.I was the most self assured and confident person until my 1st panic attack knocked me off my feet.It took me a while to understand panic attacks but once I did i started to get over them

Danron
11-08-15, 17:23
When I had CBT the Doctor and I literally argued about full blown panic attacks. She said one could just walk through them as if they didn't exist and I told her that I literally had to sit down even if it was in the street until it passed, and then I was jelly legged. I asked her if she had ever had one and surprisingly she said no.

Agreed, for a long time I used to black out when I had a panic attack which was pretty hard to ignore. They are treatable though and it is possible to reduce them, cbt really helped me along with medication. I am definitely not trying to say just ignore them, just to say that if you have had any recovery from panic attacks you can start to see how your own response can keep them going.

---------- Post added at 17:23 ---------- Previous post was at 17:21 ----------

Also that is not to say that we are the cause of our panic attacks, we're not, it's not fair that we have to go through this. Xxx