PDA

View Full Version : Help with my childs' anxiety

mr benn
10-08-15, 15:49
My teenage child has very high levels of Anxiety , especially the fear of being sick. I myself have Anxiety, mostly related to the fear of being ill.
It got so bad with panic attacks that my child was off school for about the last 2 months of the term. Tjhere is no way I can currently see him going back full time if at all.
We have been trying to get help from 2 NHS run groups, but the waiting lists are ridiculous. We cant really afford private, tho if somebody recommended a local one , and it was reasonable , then I would go for it. (we are in Redditch, Worcs)
The really hard part is my childs relucatance to accept any help either, either from me , or now from a counsellor via the School.

I just dont know where to turn right now. It makes it worse for me watching, as I have lived with this for the last 20 years.

Any help gratefully received.

mr benn
20-08-15, 19:47
So , nobody got a child with Anxiety , or have any thoughts :weep:

Fishmanpa
20-08-15, 19:59
I can relate as my youngest suffers from anxiety and depression. I'm fortunate that she came to me with how she was feeling. Her mother and I made sure she got help. With counseling and meds, she's doing great now!

The difference I see is your child's reluctance to accept help. Other than putting your foot down and forcing them to go, I don't know what you can do other and encourage and support.

Perhaps, since you're challenged with anxiety too, the two of you can look into an on-line self help program and work on it together. It could possibly help while you're waiting for professional services and also create a stronger parental/child bond.

There are several programs out there. Perhaps others can chime in with some info, experience and links. I personally used the free CBT course that was linked here but I don't see it any more.

There are some links and information at http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/articles/help It's worth taking a look and making a few calls and inquiries

Good luck and positive thoughts

sial72
20-08-15, 21:40
Mr Benn I understand how you feel because my 6 year old has anxiety, it is heartbraking!
I am weighing up wether to take her to therapy or not, but I probably will.
How about getting him a book about anxiety from Amazon, there are some age appropiate ones and then he could read it himself if he doesn't wan't help for now xxx

2Anxious
20-08-15, 22:40
I went through serious school anxiety when I was younger and I could give some advice, but if his anxiety is centered around being sick, I don't really know. I'm usually pretty anti therapy but I think that's the only thing that will get him over such an irrational fear.

Do whatever you can to keep him on a good diet/active lifestyle as things can easily spiral out of control.