PDA

View Full Version : anxiety, I am flying 7000km on my own in 2 days. Any advice?

krs121
10-08-15, 16:11

Post anxiety, I am flying 7000km on my own in 2 days. Any advice?
Hi, I'm 18. I just finished year 13 at sixth form (in the UK). School has finished and I have quite a few regrets about it, I became more self consious as the years went by and really didn't put myself out there at sixth form but what can you do. I'm really going to miss it and I went to that school from Year 7.

Anyways, basically I'm on holiday at part of my grandma's house in India. It's a decent place and I stay away from my family home for most of the time. I come usually every 3 years and I know the place well and seen everything there is too see. So, basically I didn't really want to come here this year as it's the year 13 summer it's the summer to hang out with mates before everyone separates and stuff. I was told I wasn't going this summer but then my dad ended up booking it and I was told 3 days prior to leaving.. Pretty annoyed. I said I wasn't going but I ended up saying yes as long as he met 3 agreements of mine. One of which was that I come back before results which he told me a fair few times that I will do and I was coming back with him on the 9th. I've also had this health issues effecting me for the past few months which includes panic attacks and anxiety. It's gotten to the point where I can't be alone by myself anymore as I get these attacks and I haven't been in that situation for 2 months now. Anyways, I've been getting checked out and doing various tests here and it's been found that I have this vitamin d deficiency and anxiety. I've been given medication for it and obviously stay in sunlight and there's a lot more here than there. This was a few days ago, and tomorrow my dad's leaving and my ticket wasn't booked till the day back my other family is coming back which is after results and after the results day party. I still haven't decided on going to university and i've put that on the back of my mind.

Just not sure what to do now as I told them I wanted to be back on results for ages and I've been having arguments with them for the past couple days and they can't get me a ticket with my dad but I can get a ticket the day before results but that involves going on a connecting flight on my own. I'm already anxious about that. I more or less want to go results day as it's the last time i'll see loads of people and I didn't say a proper goodbye to a fair few at prom. Already under a lot of stress and this has given me more stress. If I go on the early flight then I can go also go to a couple parties the days after it which I would enjoy. However, if I miss it it could be added to another list of my regrets. I could probably get my dad to pay for going to a football game and a festival if I don't go. Just saying all this is a bit silly but anyone with any helpful advice please? I'm in this big disagreement with my family now that's involving a lot of people and i've been made to be the bad guy. I know i'll probably regret if I don't go but can I handle going by myself (although there will be strangers everywhere). I haven't been myself in a room or just with strangers for an extended period of time for over 2 months. I don't know how to describe why but I get these panic attacks with palpitations and think i'm going to get a heart attack. I'm more or less normal when i'm in a comfortable situation but I still get these panic attacks and just have a general feeling of anxiety :/. I

* Update. This is 2 days after and I am much more confident about travelling 19 hours on my own. It's a connecting flight to a new airport which i'm slightly worried about as I have to get out of the airport with my luggage and use their bus facility to move to international departures terminal and then check in there. I hope I meet someone going the same route as I have 5 hours of free time. Also, I hate in flight food especially the smell of it so i'm not going to eat literally anything on the flights. The past two days, I have began testing myself. I walked a couple km's by myself for the first time in so long and it was honestly a relief but there was still that deep fear of something like getting a heart attack and I got another case of palpitations. Today, I went to a shop and ordered and something so simple felt so good to accomplish. Although, again when I stopped walking i didn't feel fully right and was getting a bit worried. The not feeling right bit is all to do with intrusive thoughts psychologically and physically I get this really strange not nice undescribable feeling all over my chest and/or palpitations with it and It's just all that needs to disappear.

Oosh
10-08-15, 19:32
Getting back to see your friends would be fantastic. Keep focused on how good that will feel and look past the flight.

When I don't want to feel like I'm on my own I listen to podcasts. I find podcasts where there are people I like, talking about subjects I like and I enjoy listening to them. Even though it's not really people with you it feels like there is because it's real people chatting. Find some podcasts or audiobooks you'll really be into and listen to them all flight so you feel you have company.

Don't worry so much about anxiety symptoms. Don't give it such a negative meaning. They don't mean you are in danger. They mean your body is prepared that's all.
I've had palpitations MANY times. They're uncomfortable yes but without the negative meaning you attach to them they're not actually a danger to you.
Negative meaning creates the fear, which is all you are suffering from.

Allow yourself to feel anxiety symptoms and relax knowing you are still going to be ok.

You can do this. Go and have a wonderful flight to see your friends. Your confidence will be higher after this and you'll have great memories with your friends.