PDA

View Full Version : Embarrassed myself in fromt of doctor :(

Kate_
11-08-15, 09:31
I went for a doctors app today and the doctor was the lovliest guy ever. He was very kind and a very good doctor. At the end he asked if I wanted a Chlamydia testing kit they are offering to people my age.

(TMI Herr I'm sorry in advance if I'm not allowed to talk about these things!)
I then panicked and told him 'I've never had sex...' even though I have done everything else so to speak with my partner so in hindsight its still possible to get the disease!

He got a bit flustered and rightly so because I'm an absolute moron and I just feel so upset that I said such a stupid thing when I should have just taken the test.

Now I'm worried about it and am thinking about getting one anyway to be safe but whatever I do I just feel like such an awful person and just feel like crying. :(

hanshan
11-08-15, 09:42
I'm surprised that the doctor was flustered by your reply - doctors get the whole gamut of human existence appearing before them, so nothing should be surprising. Perhaps the doctor saw you getting embarrassed.

That said, don't worry. It's quickly forgotten, and with the doctor seeing dozens of patients every week, not something that will stick in their mind.

You could get the test kit, but I assume it's one use only, so once you tested yourself (and most probably test negative), you'd be back to square one.

Kate_
11-08-15, 09:52
I'm surprised that the doctor was flustered by your reply - doctors get the whole gamut of human existence appearing before them, so nothing should be surprising. Perhaps the doctor saw you getting embarrassed.

That said, don't worry. It's quickly forgotten, and with the doctor seeing dozens of patients every week, not something that will stick in their mind.

You could get the test kit, but I assume it's one use only, so once you tested yourself (and most probably test negative), you'd be back to square one.

Perhaps I just read his emotions wrongly which I often do?

You're right, thank you. I'm seeing him for a follow up in 2 weeks so I could mention it and apologise then?

I'm not really worried about the disease as its never one that crossed my mind, but now its mentioned I fear ill become obsessed if I don't take it, and as its free I guess there's no reason not to swallow my pride and ask for one.

I just feel like I've ruined everything, which is ridiculous and overdramatic. :(
Thank you once again for your reply.

sial72
11-08-15, 14:54
Ooooh don't worry about it at all. I have worked with a doctor and I can guarantee you that with everything they hear and see in a day what you said is absolutely nothing.
I wouldn't bother mentioning it to apologise because I can bet he won't even know what you are apologizing for.
Don't worry about it xxxx

MyNameIsTerry
11-08-15, 22:30
Maybe the doctor is inexperienced? Until they have gained their own experience they are bound to feel like we do and have to learn that it's all perfectly normal to discuss intimidate things.

I don't think you should worry at all. I tend to find a bit of humour works well in breaking the ice a bit in these situations.

Sunflower2
11-08-15, 23:02
My friend is studying medicine and she has DEFINITELY heard a lot worse. She has shadowed gps as well as worked in wards and the list of weird things she has seen is very long, and she is still just studying!

Perhaps the doctor was embarassed of himself that he felt he was out of line assuming you needed to be tested? Maybe he is even feeling guilty for making you feel bad!