PDA

View Full Version : ughh. unnoticed "mole" nervous about melanoma.

anxietysmymiddlename
12-08-15, 03:39
Hey guys! While I have been scared about colon cancer and such. I have calmed down with that fear. Now a new one is replacing it. I know it's ridiculous. But god dang. I'm scared to death about this mole about month ago.
It's not big. Pretty small. Don't have an exact measurement. But it's nowhere near 6mm.
Its really dark brown and I think there is very tiny white specs I can see mixed in with it. At least I think I can.
I haven't looked up a picture of melanoma . I'm too scared too do so.
But from what I've read about this cancer. It's not usually symmetrical. Raised. And growing.
From when I obsessed about it a month ago. It hasn't really changed. Neither appearance or size. It's a circle. But not sure if it's a true circle. But it looks like it...

I had my brother check it. (He is medical assistant and was taught how to identify a suspicious mole) and he looked at it for a few seconds. said It was fine. But I feel he didn't look long enough. And now I'm so focused on it. God I hate obsessing about stuff like this. :(

So.. if any of you know what melanomas are like... Or had a fear like mine. Does this sound like melanoma. ? Thanks in advance.

hanshan
12-08-15, 08:45
No-one on this site can give you medical advice that should be given by a doctor. If you are worried about a mole see your doctor who can also check the rest of your body. As a general point, symmetrical shape and tiny white specks are good signs ruling out melanoma, but only a doctor can say for sure.

Hypo84
12-08-15, 11:50
I am almost certain it is just a new benign mole...you can go to doctor to check if you want but if it small and not changing then that is sign there is nothing to worry about. But you realize that when you get reassurance feon doctor that it is benign you will get another disease? It's bound to haooen...go treat your HA.

anxietysmymiddlename
13-08-15, 06:31
Yeah.. if sucks now I have been noticing moles. All over my body. They have probably already been there. But I keep freaking out about it. Lol I need help. I hope to get cbt or therapy soon. I need it. Thanks for the replys though! I'll do my best to keep thinking rational.

confusedandalone67
13-08-15, 13:11
I have so many moles on my body, like flat brown dots. Oddly despite my anxiety, I stopped worrying about them a long time ago. However, I did have a "scare" when I was a teenager. I had a large raised one on my foot which was getting bigger and was white in the middle. As you can imagine, I did the Google and well..

I went to the doctor about it because it was quite scary looking. Had it removed in hospital. I remember the surgeon, doctors saying the word BENIGN and believe me it was a big one and it was rooted deep.

The only way to know is to get it looked at professionally. The anxiety would get worse if you don't and the obsession will too. It's highly likely you're fine but I'm not a doctor!

Like I said, I have tons on my body and I've been sunbathing this year and all sorts. I'm also Irish and as white as they come.

If anything were wrong (and there probably isn't) I think you'd be best biting the bullet and putting your mind at ease if anything. This is one former obsessive to another.

Be healthy x

Ayebee
14-08-15, 08:20
Hi there,

Might be a bit late to the replies, but so sorry to hear you've been frazzled about your mole, it can be a scary situation for sure! I have a very similar case like you have now with a mole on my trunk. It's easily 5mm or more in size, kinda square, and looks like a dark sunspot, raised and pebbly and all. Mine also had white flecks in 5 different areas and a very dark center to it. When it comes to moles, I've learned that if it has white flecks, it can be due to irritation of any type like clothing, after washing yourself in the bath, etc. Sometimes the flecks there for a minute and gone the next too. But with mine, despite it's size, my dermatologist said it looked fine and didn't have to remove it, or apply any cream or anything.

There's a trick I learned too from surfing the web that there are major signs for melanoma, and it goes by ABCDE. It becomes a concern if they're Asymmetrical, have a really choppy and ragged Border, multiple Colors, have a large Diameter, and are Evolving or taking another shape rapidly. From what you described it doesn't sound like melanoma at all, but just a larger mole. Not a doctor myself either, but just from experience. Everyone gets a couple larger moles, ones that are darker than others, or some that are a bit raised above the skin.

Like others have said, it can be best to have a doctor or a dermatologist to take a look at it just to be on the safe side. Usually when you go in to examine a mole, they will also examine the rest of your moles to make sure everything looks a-okay, so that can also help keep the anxiety low and away. : ) Take it one step at a time, you're going to be okay :^)

hanshan
18-08-15, 09:51
White dots inside a mole may be keratin pearls, and not be due to irritation. They are not found in melanoma. A scaly whitish surface may be a keratosis - again not melanoma.

But there are at least a dozen common skin growths that resemble moles, and lots more rare ones, mostly benign. Don't try to diagnose yourself. Only a doctor can say yes, no, or maybe, and order any appropriate follow-up.