PDA

View Full Version : Night time anxiety?!

BlueEyesShining
12-08-15, 22:43
At night before sleep i get this horrible feeling that something is just not ok, i don`t know what. I`m just afraid for my health and my future with no obvious reason. I want to sleep but i can`t, i just can`t stop overthinking and creating problems which in fact don`t exist. I`m just asking myself "what if". My heart is pounding and i just want the night to pass. Any idea how to stop overthinking? And tips for better sleep cause this is unbearable. Thanks

white1989
14-08-15, 12:35
hi there,

I am the exact same as you and really struggle at night. I find it can be helpful to read a book or magazine, put something relaxing on the tv, or listen to some soft music which you can really focus on the lyrics after I've got into bed. sometimes having a chat with a friend or family member after you've got into bed and are settling down can help as it might take your mind off intrusive thoughts and let you go to sleep feeling a little happier. other than that, sometimes i try and write a list in my head, such as a grocery shopping list, a holiday shopping list, or a list of things I'd buy if I won the lottery - it's a good way of occupying your mind and before you know it you'll probably have drifted off to sleep!
a trip to the gp for a sleeping remedy would probably be the best idea if you still continue to struggle.
good luck xx

BlueEyesShining
14-08-15, 22:55
And here i am again coping with my horrible anxiety at night. I hate it. I just want to be able not to overthink everything and sleep like other people at night. Everything is a mess right now, there is so much going on in my head that i think that i`m becoming insane. I`m trying to listen to music and relax but it just doesn`t work. Can`t bother my friends so late cause they all have their own problems. It sucks

fallingstar
15-08-15, 04:24
I get nighttime anxiety a lot as well.
If you're worrying about bills, future, etc. you should write them down - keep a notepad and pen by the bed. Worry about it in the morning. You'll remember if you write it down (if you're worrying about forgetting things at night).
Try some nice calm tea; decaf varieties, chamomile, or peppermint tea
Try a nice hot shower or bath before bedtime. Just as one wakes you up in the morning, at night it helps put me to sleep vs nights I don't take one prior to bed.
Try to read - I used to read before bed and I'd pass out with a huge Harry Potter book (most times waking up with the book half over my face or my face face down on the book in my bed haha). Made my eyes tired before bed and I snoozed quickly.

Greenman50
16-08-15, 10:55
Going through the same , just as i,m dropping off a wave of anxiety runs through my body from an intrusive though i,m knackered and depressed its the pits

Just upped the cit to 20 mg not helping yet

Greg101
16-08-15, 20:34
Hi BlueEyesShining,

Having just read your thread I have to say as a small boy I was plagued by night time anxiety. For a number of years I would cry myself to sleep for no apparent reason and I hid this from my parents and others around me.

For me there was a programme on tv on a Sunday night when I was little called "That's Life" and I managed to eventually convince myself that I was worrying unnecessarily and that whatever happened "that's life" and I needed to stop worrying.

I also became worried that worrying would make me ill and at some point my mind broke the cycle and I am so glad that it did.

Fortunately I haven't had this since but the small boy in me is reaching out to you.

I would be happy to discuss this further with you or provide support, please contact me if you would like to discuss.

I wish you well.

Greg :)

BlueEyesShining
16-08-15, 22:36
It`s horrible. I know when this time comes, it`s like my mind is programmed to imagine everything and anything, of course worst case scenarios, like, if i go to sleep now i won`t wake up the next morning, or i will wake up in pain, or tomorrow i will discover that i have a serious illness etc. It`s pretty bad right now. My heart is beating so strong that i can almost hear it and feel it in my throat, my stomach feels tight, and my vission is blurred. I`m really tired but more mentally, physically i can`t get tired at all, i can keep on going all night like this, thinking and worrying. I just want to cry all day long and this feeling of inescapable trouble and doom is always inside me

Pepperpot
16-08-15, 23:24
If you really can't sleep then don't lie in bed thinking of all your worries & problems; I was doing this too but it makes you 20 times worse. Get up & do something productive, make a shopping list, clean a drawer out, anything to get your mind off it. I really feel sorry for you cos I get like this also x

sl1nky
17-08-15, 22:44
For me I actually feel better when im over tired, suddenly sleeping becomes more important than worrying, but i only become over tired because getting to sleep is such a challenge.

I suggest trying to do something before attempting to go to sleep, read a book it will help you drift into a dream more easily