PDA

View Full Version : Scared I've damaged myself with antibiotics

wubu
14-08-15, 17:14
I got a course of antibiotics and took one on Tuesday morning and forgot to take any more and that night had 1.5 pints of beer. Then the following morning I felt really sick and had stomach cramps and remembered that the Co-Amoxiclav doesn't agree with my stomach. I only took the one and still got tum pains/cramps. I spoke to the GP over the phone who ask about bowel movements and any bleeding which was all ok. Then later while walking back from the shop it kind of felt like I hadn't wiped properly and found blood on the loo paper which was just like that of when you have piles.

I've requested a call back from the GP again but got myself in a right panic over it!

MyNameIsTerry
16-08-15, 04:55
According to NHS Choices, there are no known interactions between Co-Amoxiclav and alcohol.

Some people can't tolerate these dual med types. My mum had one last year and was sick not long after and had diarrhea for the best part of 6 hours afterwards. I asked a pharmacist about it (I think it might have been this one) and she said that it is the smaller element in the med that many people are allergic to and she wouldn't be prescribed it again if she tells her GP. He marked it on her records and gave her another form...the one we have all been given since childhood which has no such issues (cheers for that doc, always worth experimenting on us, eh?!)

So, are you allergic to it? Antibiotics can cause us digestion/transit issues anyway and other than switching, it's a matter of keeping hydrated and getting through it sometimes.

http://www.nhs.uk/Medicine-Guides/pages/MedicineSideEffects.aspx?condition=bacterial%20inf ections&medicine=amoxicillin%20trihydrate/potassium%20clavulanate&preparation=co-amoxiclav%20500mg/125mg%20tablets

If you get diarrhea you need to contact your GP immediately but it is Very Common (1 in 10) so this might be the allergic reaction issue? Nausea/vomitting is Common (1 in 100) and can be alleviated by taking before a meal.