PDA

View Full Version : I read about diazepam and respiratory arrest! Scared

Emmapony
14-08-15, 21:46
I've been prescirbed 2mg diazpeam for fear of flying as I have a long haul flight.
I also have health anxiety! I just read that it can cause respiratory arrest and now I'm scared!
Is this common? I'm scared to take it but can't fly without it!
TIA xx

Richard1960
14-08-15, 22:00
Hi 2mg is the smallest tablet it comes in so it will just take the edge off your worry thats all.

It is a muscle relaxant so stops you tensing up.

I have in the past been on 10mg tablets and 5mg it has been around a long time and is safe,just concentrate on the good time you will have once you get there.

MyNameIsTerry
15-08-15, 04:29
Diazepam is very commonly used so if it was anything other than rare, we would be having reports about it everywhere.

Respiratory Arrest is more of a risk in the parenteral issued forms such as IV. Even then it's more of a concern in the elderley, very ill or people with compromised breathing, etc.

Even if you have breathing conditions such as asthma, it is safe to take. They advise against use of it in people with sleep apnea or a severe breathing problem. So, if you had really serious asthma then it would possibly be a no-no.

I have pretty standard asthma. I've taken 5mg once a day for about a week and later 2mg once a day for 2 days. No problems at all.