PDA

View Full Version : Health Anxiety and Citalopram??

Nervousnellie001
14-08-15, 21:56
Some of you may have read my last post about how anxious I am at the moment with physical symptoms :weep:, I was prescribed citalopram 20mg a week or so ago and got the prescription today. I am going to start taking it tomorrow as my health anxiety is unbearable at the moment. Does anyone else take citalalopram to help with their health anxiety. Not sure what to do at the moment :weep:

Helen x

Lizzie22
14-08-15, 22:18
Hi Nellie, Both of my daughters 37 and 41, have both been prescribed this in the past one still takes it. I understand it can make you feel a bit rubbish for a couple of weeks but soon has a good effect. Anxiety, nerves whatever you want to call it is a cruel condition and sometimes people need a bit of a crutch to help in the way of medications. I would advise you read the information sheet in the box to prepare you for any side effects, but it does work for many.
I wish you well, all the very best and hope you feel better soon.

Nervousnellie001
15-08-15, 10:27
Thanks Lizzie. Much appreciated. I hope your daughters are both well. I have been told by Dr that its best to take it of an evening before bed for the first couple of weeks so will try that. Hopefully it will take the edge off this horrible feeling. Many thanks again.

Xx

DaveR.Aus
06-10-15, 09:46
Hi I'm dave. I'm 26 from Sydney Australia and have been suffering from panic and some sort of gad for the best part of my life but in general it has been controllable, however in the last year or so my health anxiety has become very severe to the point of some sort of obsession. I've reached a point where I feel it's necessary to try an ssri and I think celexa might be the one to try. I say this because in the past I was on Paxil for a similar flare up of severe health anxiety and although it worked extremely well for my issues I had some weight gain problems with it at the time. Was 19-20 at the time. And was on Paxil for close to two years. Just wondering how you are going with your treatment and if anyone else has any opinions on treating or managing this disorder, whatever they may be. I feel as though it's taking over my life and although from the outside no would know that I'm struggling whatsoever on the inside and inside my head it's really debillatating.
Thanks for any advice or anything you could share.
Dave.

DonnaT
06-10-15, 10:12
I have taken citalopram on and of for ten years. I have found it to be the best tablet for me. Even better than celexa. it can take a while to get in to your system but unless your having terrible symptoms stick with it. I felt so much better on it. I agree with the doctor take it right before you go to bed, right before you sleep would be best. Hope it works out for you.

Wanderlust
06-10-15, 14:17
Yes, I also use Citalopram, it works for me, in fact its the only one that ever did, its not perfect in anyway and its not a 'cure', but I don't get the side effects I had from the others and it gives me some semblance of control that has taken me from housebound to doing a University course.

Really hope it works for you :) just remember always that everyone reacts differently to them.