PDA

View Full Version : Who else here would say they have AvPD?

hoppipolla
16-08-15, 01:54
That is, Avoidant Personality Disorder?

I think this is what I have ._.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avoidant_personality_disorder

Just curious is all :)

AnxietyDJ
16-08-15, 19:18
I guess I have parts of this... I do enjoy social interaction (once I am in the situation and feel comfortable), but definitely worry A LOT about what people think of me and whether I am being judged / laughed at etc. etc. during any social occasions (and afterwards, to a greater extent).

I'm learning to be better though - step by step, I'll get there slowly but surely.

Hope you're doing well hoppipolla :) Sigur Ros fan by any chance?

hoppipolla
20-08-15, 03:18
I guess I have parts of this... I do enjoy social interaction (once I am in the situation and feel comfortable), but definitely worry A LOT about what people think of me and whether I am being judged / laughed at etc. etc. during any social occasions (and afterwards, to a greater extent).

I'm learning to be better though - step by step, I'll get there slowly but surely.

Hope you're doing well hoppipolla :) Sigur Ros fan by any chance?

That's great that you're getting better with it :)

And yeah erm, I don't listen to them as much anymore - made this account many years back - but I saw them live once and I do think they're a cool band.

You like?

AnxietyDJ
20-08-15, 14:17
I do yes... Awesome band! I've got "Ágætis byrjun" on vinyl, which I love listening to :) That's amazing that you got to see them live... Bet it's very atmospheric in person :yesyes:

meadow
20-08-15, 21:53
I would definitely say I have a strong chance of having AvPD. I avoid so many situations because I'm scared what will happen, I completely avoided school for years so that fits the symptoms too. My self-esteem isn't great either and I did isolate myself completely a few years ago as well.

Overall, I think I probably do have it, but I'm too afraid to see anyone to be professionally diagnosed :blush:

Oosh
21-08-15, 13:51
Oh I've always thought I fitted this.

mark84
21-08-15, 16:13
OOOH I think I do!!! We could all start a club, and each week we all avoid going and just send an excuse instead:D

hoppipolla
28-08-15, 01:50
I do yes... Awesome band! I've got "Ágætis byrjun" on vinyl, which I love listening to :) That's amazing that you got to see them live... Bet it's very atmospheric in person :yesyes:

Yeah it was intense!

That's cool you have it on vinyl ^_^

OOOH I think I do!!! We could all start a club, and each week we all avoid going and just send an excuse instead:biggrin:

lol, so true!

dedalus
16-10-15, 23:15
Yes. I would think that I am somewhat avoidant. However, my degree of avoidance can vary depending on my mood/level of anxiety. I certainly display some of the symptoms given on the link above.

em1305
21-10-15, 14:27
I hadn't heard of this before, but it fits!

Rennie1989
21-10-15, 17:16
I read the link and thought 'Ow crikey, sounds like me!' as I am a bit of a social hermit myself.

But after searching the similarities of this and social anxiety they are both very similar, the only difference I can find is APD is more severe to the point where they become socially isolated with a small social circle and distrust in their therapist. Otherwise I agree with one reference in that the two should be combined because of the shere similarities.

I suppose having 'personality disorder' in the title just makes it sound more serious.

MyNameIsTerry
21-10-15, 23:00
You will find some Personality Disorders with symptoms matching anxiety disorders. My therapist thought I might have Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder (OCPD) but said it was beyond her level to diagnose. I had the minimum 4 criteria from the list so it sounded plausible BUT when I read into it I found that I didn't have the most telling symptom - the underlying attitude that my behaviour was appropriate and needed no treatment.

So, be careful with these. If you look at the clusters they ate arranged in you will see there is one cluster where anxiety is a key symptom. If you looked across the full range of PD's you might find you fit one or more criteria from the other symptom lists (I did) but it's the underlying attitude & behaviour involved as well.

PD's are deeper ingrained disorders more connected to your sense of identity and outlook so they require more treatment and the patient can be fighting the therapist. CBT is knew form of treatment but DBE is a newer form thay adds emotional control to CBT and is supposed to be more successful in treating them.

It wouldn't surprise me if we have people on here with them. There are a couple who have mentioned their diagnosis of certain PD's but not APD. I wonder about the possibility of PD's when I see people who just can't accept it is more than anxiety and members on here get frustrated with them but given refusal to accept diagnosis is Somatoform Disorder trait, it's hard to understand.

MissyMischief
22-10-15, 21:52
I do have some of those things on the list, but to a much lesser degree. I am a lot better than when I was younger, but still struggling with self-esteem/worrying what other think etc...I'm slowly getting better, though. It's just going to take a long time to reroute those pathways, since they've been there my whole life.

I'd be cautious of trying to label yourself with a new "disorder." As this will most-likely only lower your self-esteem. It's too easy to diagnose ourselves with new illnesses or whatnot when we look online.

pulisa
23-10-15, 08:19
I agree with Genoire. Leave the diagnosing to the psychiatrists and even then it depends on which psychiatrist you see as to what PD diagnosis you get. Or any mental health diagnosis for that matter.

dedalus
23-10-15, 10:30
I agree with Genoire. Leave the diagnosing to the psychiatrists and even then it depends on which psychiatrist you see as to what PD diagnosis you get. Or any mental health diagnosis for that matter.

Yes, psychiatric diagnosis can be a quite subjective and sometimes two different psychiatrist could disagree on a diagnosis relating to the same individual.

There is online test that one can do to screen for personality disorders. I would post a link but I haven't enough posts yet to allow me to do that. I will post it as soon as I can.

dedalus
23-10-15, 22:56
Here are a couple of online tests for personality disorders. I would tend to seek professional confirmation of the results. Take the results with a grain of salt maybe.

http://similarminds.com/personality_disorder.html

http://www.4degreez.com/misc/personality_disorder_test.mv

Both tests suggest that I am avoidant however.