PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever had Colitis?

wubu
16-08-15, 07:54
According to the GP I may have colitis brought on by antibiotics. Just wondering if anyone has it or has had it brought on by antibiotics and how long it takes to pass?

The pains have almost gone but tummy still feels bloated etc. Buscopan has been a massive relief! I don't think it helped that I was taking Ibuprofen which probably didn't help he pain.

nomorepanic
16-08-15, 13:46
Can I ask how they diagnosed Colitis?

wubu
16-08-15, 17:26
I told her what had happened and she said some people get antibiotic induced colitis and sounds like i may have it.

wubu
17-08-15, 09:19
Well I've read more about colitis but from what I've read my symptoms have more in common with IBS. Hmmm.

Justanutter
17-08-15, 09:55
Hi Wubu, I think Colitis is just another form of IBS. I suffer with IBS and it's almost identical. Have a look at a special probiotic that is now available called Symprove. It's not cheap but it replaces all the good bacteria you have lost with the antibiotics so will settle your symptoms. If you can't afford that, get a really good probiotic tablet such as Solgar or Biocare and this should definitely do the trick. Antibiotics always upset the flora of the bowel and can take months to settle.

wubu
17-08-15, 21:38
Symprove looks interesting, I've been having Actimel but I'm not confident about those.

I think mixing beer with a very strong dose of Co-amoxiclav as probably nuked my good bacteria. Thanks for the replies.