PDA

View Full Version : Balance Problems

honeybee3939
06-02-07, 19:24
Hi

Im not sure if this is anxiety related or not, but would be grateful for any comments.
Over the years i have had problems with my balance. E,g, if i dance i go dizzy, when im walking down the bus as its reaching the bus stop the moving sensation makes me go dizzy, to the extent i have sit down or i feel i will pass out. I thought it could be anxiety, but when im at work i often make coffee for the staff and while im taking the 2 cups in each hand and concentrating on not spilling my balance seems to go too and i usually have to put the cups down until the dizzyness goes.
Do you think this could be anxiety related or could it be something else.

Any advice would be great.

Love

Andrea
xxxx

"If you have a worry turn it into a problem, you cant solve worrys but you can solve problems"

bobsy
06-02-07, 19:41
Hi andrea

the only thing i can think it could posibly be is vertigo as you go dizzy etc with this dont you.

Sorry im not much help but maybe a trip to the dr could help.

hope you ok

love bobsy

eeyorelover
06-02-07, 19:52
Hey Andrea -
I found this and thought it was really interesting...
http://www.uphs.upenn.edu/balance/patient%20education%20brochures/anxiety%20and%20dizziness.htm

Let me know what you think :)
xxx
Sandy

honeybee3939
06-02-07, 20:12
Thanks Bobsy and Sandy for your replies.

I actually went to the doctors about this a couple of weeks ago as i thought it could be vertigo, he did look in my ears and also gave me some head movement exercises.
It could be anxiety, im not sure, i just cant understand why it comes on like it does. I also get it when i am bent down doing tasks like cleaning the floor then stand up quickly.

Sandy,Thanks for the link, its very interesting, i like the idea of the tilt table for diagnosis, i think i may go back to the docs and ask for some tests to put my mind at ease.

Many thanks

Andrea
xxx

"If you have a worry turn it into a problem, you cant solve worrys but you can solve problems"

Piglet
06-02-07, 21:46
Andy,

I get this too hun!!

I seem to have two sorts that I can get, the first being the one that is very common with anxiety and can last for weeks at a time, in my case as a constant thing. Not very pleasent but I'm learning not to be so bothered by it anymore, hence I haven't had it for a year or more.

The other sort I get I think I've always had really - I could never do roundabouts as a kid, or waltzers at the fair ([Ugh] very sick once - let's not go there). I also suffered really badly with car sickness as a child - fine on motorways but not on the twisty curvy A/B roads!! Also can be sick on boats.

I put this down to having a sensitive inner ear, so this affects my balance. I have only to twist my head too quickly and I can get a vertigo feeling, so I certainly know what you mean about coming down the bus.

I really think it is the sensitive balance between eye, ear, brain etc and with some of us processing this information can get a bit muddled at times ie: you have one movement of watching where you are going walking down the bus, yet out of the periphery you can see the scenery moving by. Perhaps a bit hard for some people to process!!

Love Piglet :)

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

kazzie
06-02-07, 22:29
I have this too Andrea!!!!

Im fine when im sat down but what you have described is what I get

Its always worse when im anxious!!!!

I also have a medical condition that means my feet are totally numb and dont think that helps any!!!

Im sure its nothing to worry about!!!!

luv kaz x x x

ALWAYS LOOK ON THE BRIGHT SIDE OF LIFE!!!!!!

honeybee3939
07-02-07, 10:08
Kazzie and Piglet

Thanks for your replies

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">I seem to have two sorts that I can get</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">
Yes Piglet thats me too, i seem to know the difference like you, and thats why i wasnt sure if it was anxiety.
Your reply makes alot of sence, i think like you i must have the same problem, not sure if theres anything that can help sort it, but a trip to the docs wont do no harm.

Thankyou

Love

Andrea
xxx

honeybee3939
08-02-07, 10:11
Hi

Just got back from the docs, he checked my ears and said they look ok, also he checked my blood pressure, firstly sat down, which was high, then stood up which was higher.
So he thinks it maybe by blood pressure that could be causing my dizzy spells.
Anyway he as prescribed me Propranolol 80mg one a day,and i have to ge back in four weeks. Ive have just looked this up on the forum and 80 mg seems to be quite a high dose, Just wondered if anyone else had taken 80mg daily and what side effects it may have caused.

Love

Andrea
xxxx

Piglet
08-02-07, 12:47
Oh well done mate for sorting it.

I know with me it's not this cos my bp isn't high but it will be interesting to see if this helps you won't it. Were you nervous at the doctors, cos sometimes it can be higher there than it is at home say??? What was it - did you ask??

My mum has been on beta blockery type tabs for the last 40 years and does fine but I have to say when I was on them years ago for a few weeks I did feel very sluggish but I can't remember what dose that was.

I'm sure someone will be able to shed more light cos so many take them.

Love Piglet xx

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

honeybee3939
08-02-07, 13:13
Hi piglet

Thanks for the reply, I do suffer with white coat as i have done my bp in the past at home and it is lower than when i go to the docs. So cant realy understand why he suggested beta blockers. My reading today sat down was 152-95, and 160-99 stood up. To be honest those readings are the highest i have ever had, but then again i could feel myself getting all worked up when the strap went on my arm.

Will start the meds on Monday after the meet-up dont want to be feeling groggy all weekend[^], and will see if they help.

Love

Andrea
xxxx

wildflower
08-02-07, 13:33
Hi Honey,

I've experienced epsiodes of dizzyness, sounds very much similiar to yours. It used to happen now and again walking down the bus, and over time the more I used to think about and worry about it happening, the worse it got. Because of this, I just put it down to anxiety. This still happens a lot to me when I walk over bridges. Seems like the whole bridge just moved all of a sudden and I feel like I'm going to fall over. As soon as I cross the bridge I'm fine again. Strange the sensations anxiety can cause!

My blood pressure (and heart rate) are always way higher when I visit the doctors, than at normal times. He did tests at first, but they all came back normal and now I think he's just got used to me being like that when I visit!

I take propranolol 40mg and was told to take 3 a day when I was feeling really bad. I usually only take 1, but have often taken 2 when I've been going through a hard time. Can't say I ever noticed any side effects, no sleepy or groggy feelings, and infact I've found its been really helpful in making me feel better :)