PDA

View Full Version : Taurine Suggestions/dosage

nedmcg
16-08-15, 18:31
So i know a lot of people find that magnesium Taurate is the best form to take as the Taurine as some relaxing effect.

these are expensive and hard to find so i bought some bulk power Taurine from my protein (was on off about £5 for 1kg).

I was wondering how much i should be taking, I took 1g with my 200mg of Magnesium glycinate/lysinate chelate and didn't feel any different.

Anyone else found a good combination?

MyNameIsTerry
17-08-15, 06:36
I don't think the Taurine will bind with the magnesium as chelation has already been achieved with Glysine & Lysine. Not sure whether it can do that in the stomach as it's normally manufactured to achieve this.

But the Taurine itself will follow it's normal absorption route and be used in the body for various things. One of those is as a precursor to GABA, an inhibitory neurotransmitter. This will be what you are aiming for but since Taurine is used in many systems in the body, it will be circulated all over so it may mean upping the dosage until you feel a mental effect.

nedmcg
18-08-15, 10:31
Understood that it wont bind to the magnesium (although as far as I can tell the binding with an amino acid is needed to help absorption)

What about the dosage?
do you need to build up the levels over a period of time to start seeing the effects?

MyNameIsTerry
19-08-15, 05:58
Yeah, magnesium being a mineral isn't absorbed well by the body so they chelate it to something that is more bioavailable like an amino acid. Your Taurine will get through just fine, you don't the magnesium to bond to that as it's already chelated to Glycine and Lysine to help it be absorbed easier. Glycine is used in the brain for neurotransmitters too which could mean taking the magnesium to the brain with it (which Taurine can also do) but I don't know on that one as it might go whereever it's needed. Most likely there will be some info out there on this if you do some Googling about it.

I reckon Taurine will act fast. They put it in energy drinks to bring you back down so it must work without a build up lead time. The problem is that it will be used all over the body and you may be losing some of it to those places, especially if you are getting exercise as many take it for that alone. I think it's going to be a question of just uppping your dose but by bit until you find a change. With it working on GABA receptors, I would expect a fast action anyway since thats where Benzo's tend to work.

I know I've seen supplements allowing much more than 1g so perhaps see what the recommended dosages are and work upwards?

nedmcg
19-08-15, 10:28
Thanks Terry,

I am trying 2mg currently but still no change so will go up to 3.

I presume you don't need to build up any levels first? like something's you need to take for a few weeks/months before you see the benefit?

MyNameIsTerry
22-08-15, 05:36
No, I don't think you would with Taurine or else there would be no point putting it in energy drinks to prevent them making people too hyper.

But it could mean that the Taurine is being used elsewhere first. For instance, if you work out it will be used in recovery. So, rather than a buildup it might mean your are not seeing an effect in terms of neurotransmitters because you need to exceed the level at which the rest of your body is using it up for other functions.

Splitting the dose to different periods throughout the day might be worth a try too.

nedmcg
16-09-15, 09:42
From what I have been reading , even when you get the right dose the effects aren't very long lived (a few hours I think I read). Not seemed to work so much for me even at 6mg. O well it was worth a try

bartin
21-09-15, 11:56
Magnesium taurate is meant as a magnesium supplement rather than as a taurine supplement.
http://www.nutrientsreview.com/minerals/magnesium.html

MyNameIsTerry
21-09-15, 12:39
Magnesium taurate is meant as a magnesium supplement rather than as a taurine supplement.
http://www.nutrientsreview.com/minerals/magnesium.html

The OP was buying a separate Taurine supplement.

There are even some taurate supplements out there were the magnesium content is quite low but the Taurine is really high. So, you have to careful and chase up content %'s.