PDA

View Full Version : Oral cancer terrified

jackdobs
16-08-15, 19:56
Hi all, I'm new to this forum so I'll start by introducing myself just briefly. I'm Jack, 23 years old and I live in the north of England. I've suffered with intense health anxiety, OCD (invariably) and other mental health issues since I was 16.

My doctor very recently (1.5 week ago) prescribed me 50mg Sertraline which has been increasing my fears and anxiety a lot. I know these things take their time to work, but I've never felt so frightened all the time and not wanting to do anything I usually enjoy. My anxiety has gone into overdrive and I'm looking in my mouth with a light for symptoms every given opportunity...scaring myself senseless.

Now, exactly one week ago I developed a white sore on the side of my tongue (right side) which has gone down a lot but is still there ever so slightly. It's more a faint white area now than a sore but I recently had a filling fitted which is very sharp and I'm conscious it's catching my tongue when I speak. If it was caused by mouth cancer, would it have gone down so much over the last week and be looking better than it was? I'm so worried and I've become incredibly depersonalised and stressed out. My partner thinks I'm insane and it's put an awful strain on our relationship. He's trying to be as supportive as possible but it's hard for him as he has a stressful job.

To add to this, a week ago I also discovered what I think is red patches/irritation on the roof of my mouth (who even takes the time to shine a light and look up there?!). I researched on google (as always...ugh) and found erythroplakia, precancerous lesions. ARGH! I've been convinced there's something wrong but my partner said there's nothing he can see there and it's in my head. I do get a hot mouth feeling when my anxiety is bad so I thought maybe it's that...but maybe there's nothing ugh.

I've been to a dentist twice since June and the doctor has also examined my mouth, lymph nodes etc when I saw him and he prescribed me the Sertraline. He said I was fine and not to look in my mouth if it's causing me anxiety but since I started this medication it's all I can do. Never felt so different to myself. Dreading going back to work in a week (I work in a secondary school). I can't do this...

NB: I've smoked on and off since I was about 18 (never heavily) which I know is ridiculous given my worries - please don't judge me harshly. :(

Fishmanpa
16-08-15, 20:28
I had oral cancer. What you describe along with your age disqualify that fear.

Positive thoughts

jackdobs
16-08-15, 20:41
I had oral cancer. What you describe along with your age disqualify that fear.

Positive thoughts

Thanks for your reply Fishmanpa - I'm glad to see it's "had" rather than "have", and that you've recovered. I just wish I didn't always google my symptoms.

Greenman50
16-08-15, 23:03
At your age mate unheard of .....its Health Anxiety

Sleep well :hugs:

---------- Post added at 23:03 ---------- Previous post was at 22:59 ----------

Just to add don,t use Dr Google (see the stickys on here ) he wants sacking he is a quack .

Use your Doctor or the NHS website

:hugs:

tmckenzie-orr
16-08-15, 23:11
firstly do not look in mouth with a tourch i do that and its scary, so so so scary, because u notice red patchs red marks bumps bite marks etc, its not good, I have banned myself from looking now as everytime i do it sets of the fast heartbeat and makes me panic and feel sick lol, So please dont, the fact its got smaller and faided means its nothing serious and cancer wouldnt come and go, and like the guys said above the age is a big thing oral cancer is most common in late 40/50s plus so dont worry yourself and even then not everybody gets it , Postive thoughts

Greenman50
16-08-15, 23:37
firstly do not look in mouth with a tourch i do that and its scary, so so so scary, because u notice red patchs red marks bumps bite marks etc, its not good, I have banned myself from looking now as everytime i do it sets of the fast heartbeat and makes me panic and feel sick lol, So please dont, the fact its got smaller and faided means its nothing serious and cancer wouldnt come and go, and like the guys said above the age is a big thing oral cancer is most common in late 40/50s plus so dont worry yourself and even then not everybody gets it , Postive thoughts

Yep ...self checking sucks as we know nothing !

Been there done that have the stains in my underpants to prove it .

Hard habit to break but it gets easier with time , the more you check the worse it feels by pawing , proding and looking if it was not sore before you start it will be in a weeks time if you carry on you focus on nothing else

jackdobs
16-08-15, 23:51
Thank you all so much for the advice. It really does help talking about it and having others who've done the same/similar offer some words of comfort. Thanks again. I have banned myself so many times from checking my mouth with my phone's torch!