PDA

View Full Version : Heart Palpitations when skating, etc.

Tommm
16-08-15, 23:23
Hello i'm new to the forum, my names Tom.

I'll post a little bit about myself first so if you don't really care about this stuff skip to paragraph 3 where I start talking about the palpitations.

So i'm a 17 year old full time student currently on summer vacation. I've been a hypochondriac since about the age of 12/13, and I can also remember exactly what sparked the hypochondria. Only one of my parents (as far as i'm aware) has an anxiety disorder, and nobody in my family really suffers from any illness' such as heart disease, cancer, kidney problems or anything unless it's come from an outside source like smoking or drinking etc. My main thing i've always worried about is appendicitis, which funnily enough is where my hypochondria triggered when I found out one of my friends' appendix had burst when he was younger. I've always easily got myself into a panic really easily (obviously because of the hypochondria) but i've always worried about pretty irrational things such as appendicitis, heart attacks, strokes, heart problems, tumors etc.

Being a hypochondriac has definitely taken a strain on my body due to how much stress is placed upon it from panic attack and all the worry, eventhough I am a healthy teen and I leave the house a lot, but I don't eat the healthiest. I wouldn't consider myself unhealthy though, I mean i'm 5'6 and weigh about 137/141lbs. I do need to visit the doctors to have a check up just incase there is anything wrong with me, but to also put my mind to rest some-what that there might not be anything wrong with me.

But yeah, the palpitations. I hadn't really had them ever, or much up until I started properly skating with my own board. The first time it'd ever happened during skating was when i'd been non stop skating for about 10 minutes at a pretty fast speed, which then they occured once I was about to stop skating and continued on for about 10/15 minutes afterwards, which ofcourse sent me into a slight panic. BUT, I managed to keep my cool and brush it off as anxiety/hypochondria and the fact it was a really warm day and I hadn't really eaten or drank anything yet.

Now, over the past week or so, maybe about the past 5 days, I've been worrying about having a heart attack again which is kind of annoying. As soon as it sparked in my brain my left arm started to feel tight and lifeless, which made me panic as that is one of the many symptoms of a heart attack as you all probably know. That alone has carried on upto today along with my arm just feel tired, being unable to use it 100% because of that. Then around friday I started to get chest pains, headaches, earaches, pins and needles in my arm and stuff, which threw me into an even bigger panic, just typing this my arm feels quite lifeless and strained which is pretty annoying. I get myself worked up to a point where I physically cannot tell myself that I will be fine, and I feel like sleeping is my only savior because I don't have to suffer with the symptoms. Stuff like this has happened before and i've obviously survived and stuff but it is still difficult to convince myself otherwise.

Now today, the palpitations started again, after the skating the exact same place as the last time. But this time they carried on for longer, and when I had started skating again, which carried on for about 40 minutes off and on, making not want to skate or anything and just wanting to lay on the pavement and in my own sorrow. The palpitations had my fears of a heart attack hightened just because I knew this was 100% my heart. I don't if these happen because I don't exercise a lot in general or what, but I do need to go to the doctors soon.

Any suggestions on what it could be etc? Anything to push off going to the doctors, (Which I know is a bad thing to do) Thanks.

Pepperpot
16-08-15, 23:31
Well, it sounds like anxiety to me. Pins and needles are a common sign so I'm told; I get them all over. They usually start in my arms or my feet and spread. All the other symptoms you're getting (chest pains, earache, headaches) are all signs too. You say you don't get these when you sleep. Now if something was seriously wrong with you then going to sleep wouldn't make a difference; you'd have these symptoms all the time. Heart palpitations are another symptom of anxiety. Your GP may put you on beta blockers which will stop these and stop the racing heart. X

Tommm
16-08-15, 23:36
Well, it sounds like anxiety to me. Pins and needles are a common sign so I'm told; I get them all over. They usually start in my arms or my feet and spread. All the other symptoms you're getting (chest pains, earache, headaches) are all signs too. You say you don't get these when you sleep. Now if something was seriously wrong with you then going to sleep wouldn't make a difference; you'd have these symptoms all the time. Heart palpitations are another symptom of anxiety. Your GP may put you on beta blockers which will stop these and stop the racing heart. X

Thankyou for the re-assurance on the fact it's highly likely that it's all just anxiety, it's horrible what anxiety alone can do to you mentally and physically.
My only issue is that I don't like to take medication, as no matter what form of medication i've taken ever i've had weird side effects like stomach aches, headaches, and stuff that anxiety can cause such as disconnect from life feelings, and dizziness etc. so I never really like taking any form of medication.
I will bring it up with my doctor though, thankyou again!x