PDA

View Full Version : How to deal with a partners panic?

claramy
18-08-15, 13:37
Looking for advice and guidance really.
When my partner takes a panic attack 9 times out of 10 he knows that whatever had triggered it is irrational. For example he shook hands with a colleague and then started panicking because he found out the person had an upset stomach
He then didn't want to prepare food even though he had washed his hands. He can tell me he knows he's being irrational but asks for almost reassurance that he's being irrational. This is where I struggle. I don't have anxiety. .. so for me yes it is irrational but I know that for him the feelings are real and it's not irrational because he cannot control those feelings. Do I reassure him and tell him he will be fine and that he should make food, do I tell him he shouldn't make food if he doesn't want to?
I told him the chances of him catching a bug just because shook hands with the guy where slim and that he should wash his hands and eat something rather than starving himself all day.
Should I reassure him or should I just let him talk toe about but not offer advice and let him come round from it on his own? I never know what's truly for best and what's likely to make it worse :/

Pepperpot
18-08-15, 16:33
I have never really thought about this lol -- I bet it is different for different people. If I had of took an attack for that, my mam would have reassured me that there was a tiny chance of me getting a bug, and that I have to eat. Actually she would have probably told me to stop being so daft lol. I feel for you cos it must be hard - you don't know what to say or do. All you can really do in the event of an attack is be reassuring- say he thinks he cannot breathe then offer to do deep breathing with him. Sorry I'm not much help lol x

sial72
18-08-15, 21:28
My best friend who is a therapist ignores me as she says this is best for me. Recently my husband does too (I even asked my friend if she had given him instructions to do so lol). Anyway at first I was a bit annoyed but I have now realised it is better for me that being permanently reasured xx

queenb
24-08-15, 15:33
My son has panic attacks too. It's interesting being on "the other side" of a panic attack. I tell him the things I have learned like talking back to the panic and breathing slowly and calmly. I have him take a hot lavender bath.