PDA

View Full Version : Swallowing/muscles/throat

cricket0148
18-08-15, 16:41
I am sitting here freaking out. i noticed my front neck muscles, lower end of SCM are tight. I think i read before how this can cause a lump in throat sensation? I can swallow liquids and food just fine but my mind is telling me no its cancer in there and thats what this is all about. Before we go there.. i wont have a scope done. Fear of hte unknown.. i know thats crazy. i have been under a TON of stress. if i hold my neck muscle to swallow sometimes, no issues. does this make any sense?

Fishmanpa
18-08-15, 16:51
From the symptoms page:

Throat tightening/Choking/Swallowing problems

What you feel:

Often one of the first symptoms of anxiety. People complain of feeling as though they will choke or being strangled. In reality its not nearly so dramatic – the muscles in the throat contract and salivary glands produce thick mucus leading to a feeling of restriction around the throat, it can produce a feeling that you are having difficulty swallowing or breathing. In fact you are not having difficulty, it just feels as though you are. You also get a dry mouth and it can feel like you cannot drink but you can.

You feel as though there is something stuck in your throat or sometimes feel there is a lump in your throat. Other times you may feel that you can barely swallow or that there is a tightness in the throat, or that you have to really force yourself to swallow. Sometimes this feeling can lead you to think that you may suffocate or get something stuck in your throat.

What causes this:

When in danger, stress biology produces a tightening in the throat muscles which produces the choking or 'something stuck in the throat' feeling. When in a nervous or stressful situation, many people will experience this feeling. It is often referred to as 'a lump on your throat'.

There is minimal danger of choking or suffocating under normal conditions, however, some people are very sensitive to things in their throat and therefore caution should always be observed when eating. Chewing food thoroughly andslowly will prevent inadvertently swallowing something that may provoke someone to gag. This symptom can come and go, and may seem to intensify if one becomes focused on it.