PDA

View Full Version : Greetings

RLR
06-02-07, 23:27
I've posted to the welcome site here and most folks know of me from my postings at the Heart Palpitations Forum.

I've been asked by numerous persons to visit here and so I've registered.

I will do what I can to field your questions and concerns from a medical standpoint, but as I've stated on the other forum, this will not be for the purpose of medical diagnosis, but rather purely in the context of medical information. If you've not been formally evaluated by a healthcare professional, then I must encourage you to do so if your symptoms are persistent and represent a concern.

So I'll do my best to visit here at least weekly and look forward to visiting with you.

Best regards and Good Health

rosebud
07-02-07, 10:58
Hi RLR

I've been having palpitations/ missed heartbeats for the last year.
I also have anxiety and panic attacks. I don't get any other symptoms with the palpitations unless i panic which obviously makes everthing worse!! I can do vigourous excercise while experiencing them with no ill effects. My question is: If these were anything sinister would i by now be experiencing other symptoms as well. Thanks in anticipation.
Traceyxxx

RLR
08-02-07, 12:28
Indeed, if your symptoms were anything "sinister," matters would have progressed by this time. It's important to remember that in most all cases of disease, with few exceptions, the process is progressive and invasive in the absence of treatment.

I've been at this for more than 40 years and can certainly tell you to take a breath and relax. Your symptoms, although very real to you, are not associated with actual disease. You'll be just fine. You can also visit my other forum "Heart Palpitations Fourm" and read my postings entitled "HEART PALPITATIONS 101, PARTS 1 through 6. It will help you to better understand what is taking place. I've also posted there regarding anxiety in general.

Stu M
08-02-07, 12:30
Hi RLR and welcome,

I have seen you in action on your own forum, and can only say to anyone suffering with palpitation give it a look, as using both this site and yours can help so much.

Stu

rosebud
08-02-07, 14:05
Thanks RLR
Thats very reassuring.
Traceyxxx

sandie
08-02-07, 18:23
Please could you print the full web address of RLR's Heart Palpitations Forum.

Thanks

Sandie

Stu M
08-02-07, 20:09
Hi Sandie,

http://rlr.qersys.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl

Stu

sal
08-02-07, 22:44
Hi RLR

Great you are here.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

"Life is a distance and to travel that distance you were given the strength and guidance to do so".

sandie
09-02-07, 10:09
Hi RLR

Thanks for offering your advice.

I've been suffering from anxiety and PAs since November last year. I'm 53, eat sensibly, not overweight, avoid caffiene, a non-smoker who drinks the occasional glass of wine.

My anxiety/PAs was the result of a major trigger factor - the stress of which is still affecting our lives.

I'm on propanalol (3 x 40 mg per day) which I try to take around 8 hours apart. I have had extreme sleep disturbances - until the new year was only managing around 2 hours a night. Latterly about 4 - 5 hours per night. I was a sleepers (Zimovane) until the beginning of December but as they weren't working anyway, haven't bothered since.

During the last 10 days my sleep has started to deteriorate again, and last night I was awake the entire night. The adrenaline, and tighteness/pain in my chest refused to let me sleep; when I did start to doze, the pain awoke me.

My palpitations are mostly under control - until the adrenaline kicks in. Why is it that when I am so tired and desperately want to sleep, there is still so much adrenaline being produced? Why do these panic attacks keep me awake or wake me up?

This morning I feel dreadful - tired and with really pwerful adrenaline surges.

Thanks

Sandie

pamella
09-02-07, 16:53
hi,my dad died of heart attack aged52 witch started my over powering fear of heart attacks, any pain in my chest was one.then3years ago my mum aged69had heart attack but had pain in her back so now any pain between my neck and my knees is heart attack.i had blood clot in my right lung oct2005 but had pain in my left side.can calm myself its not another blood clot as i sorta no pain i had then.how do i tell if pain in back not heart attack.i no its a lot to ask but any wee bit of reassurace would help.thank you. it didnt help me having pain in the wrong side when i had my blood clot.thanks

pjrobb

RLR
09-02-07, 23:16
Hi Pamella,

That's a pretty name. It's important to realize that many of your symptoms are what we term "sympathetic" in nature. Many persons who have anxiety disorder are quite sensitive to the feelings of others because they often gauge their own interactions by measuring or anticipating the response by others. Make sense?

If you have a history of thrombosis, it's a good idea to maintain good habits like a baby aspirin a day, together with watching your diet relative to intake of vitamin K, a progenator for prothrombin. I would also recommend that if you are on estrogen replacement, this therapy has a rather painted history of producing blood clots so speak with your doctor about alternatives if you are under such treatment.

It's also important not to gauge your own health and relative risk directly by the events being demonstrated in your parents. While family risk factors are indeed important, direct tests and monitoring of your own physiology and health status will bring you far more closer to accuracy than subjective views. Speak with your primary care doctor about a stress test, echocardiogram and relevant labs to determine any true risk factors for disease. Your healthcare professionals can best advise you regarding which tests are of value based upon age and relevant risk factors known.

You're going to be fine.

pamella
10-02-07, 12:45
thank u for taking the time to answer, it has belped alot.thank u again

pjrobb

nomorepanic
10-02-07, 14:41
RLR

Many thanks for taking time out to do this for us.

Much appreciated.

Nicola

People will forget what you said
People will forget what you did
But people will never forget how you made them feel