PDA

View Full Version : EXTRA ringing in ears

Vigilante407
18-08-15, 22:36
Howdy! I was hoping maybe someone here might have the answer to this question, as it's hard to really describe to most folks.

I have tinnitus - not surprising considering I had years of earaches as a child and blowing out my eardrums twice as I got older. I still hear pretty well, but naturally I've never known absolute silence in my life.

One thing I've notices is that occasionally I'll hear an secondary tone in my ears; it happens seemingly completely at random - while watching TV, just sitting around, or even while I'm actually noticing the ringing of my normal tinnitus. It comes out as a much sharper, defined tone, like something you'd associate with a radio tube heating up, or a continual tone like you'd hear when you get your ears checked, or something like that. It usually lasts between five seconds and a minute, and I often don't even notice when it fades out (since I'm so used to the normal ringing). I do, however, notice right away when it starts.

Anyone else had this sort of thing occur? It's been happening since I was a wee lad, but I've never really thought to ask anyone about it.

--Rich

hanshan
19-08-15, 05:01
I also have tinnitus - three or four different kinds of sounds which seem to be located in different areas. Fortunately I'm able to live with it and tune it out most of the time (but it's always there).

I've had the sound starting up for a few seconds or so. For me it's like tuning in or recalibrating. I've also read of others having it. I don't think it is indicative of anything more serious, and tinnitus is definitely something not to get stressed out about!

fallingstar
19-08-15, 05:55
I got it today in my right ear just walking on the work floor doing absolutely nothing - it's very quiet in there too when no one is in there except us workers. It just came - then it went almost as quickly as it came on. Happens maybe once a month or less.