PDA

View Full Version : How does one live without constant fear of illness?

puzzledlass
19-08-15, 05:18
This may be the wrong place to ask such a question, however I thought some of you might have some little things that help you when it comes to your HA.

Here's the thing, I don't WANT to fear illness. I don't want to fear the inevitable end, I don't want to live my life being afraid.

I want to enjoy life.

sial72
19-08-15, 09:27
That is what we all want!!
In the end I think it is a control issue and because illness is largely out of our control...that is what I am working on with the therapist now

GoWhiteSox
19-08-15, 14:30
this is the perfect place to ask that question..its the question we should all be asking ourselves and working towards an answer on..not the question of "am i dying??"

BlueEyesShining
19-08-15, 15:09
I would like to know the nswer too! But for me it`s nearly impossible to think about that, cause i have health anxiety since i was a child. I feel it has become a part of me

GoWhiteSox
19-08-15, 15:57
mindfulness and thankfulness helps alot..think about it..if these truly were the last days of your life how would you want to live them? scared and anxious and obsessed all the time?? certainly not..

if a doctor told me today i had 30 days to live or whatever..i would want to enjoy them, reading books, enjoying my family, letting people know i loved them, seeing the beauty in the world..the good news is you dont have to be dying to do those things! you can do them now...try a little each day...it can become a habit..

it feels difficult sometimes..no doubt..but its necessary to do this

wnsos
19-08-15, 18:41
Control is exactly what it is. You have to retake control of your own mind by practicing and practicing and practicing. There's sadly no instant cure for it and it takes a lot of constant work, even for those of us who are a bit further in to our recovery. You have to take control. Have to. And you have to go okay I'm going to do ____ today (baby steps) and work that way. Like "I'm not going to google today" or "if I google today, I'll block google and all medical websites." It's on us but it is possible. Thing is, we're going to die and be sick and if anything, HA taught me that I'm not as self aware when it comes to my own mortality as I like to think, which was incredibly jolting a realisation for a Nietzsche reader. You just take it on board. Yes, I could get ill, I could be ill - if I was, what can I do? Well I'll deal with it.