PDA

View Full Version : Propranolol for health anxiety

joneses
19-08-15, 09:18
Yesterday my doctor prescribed me propranolol for health anxiety and I was wondering if anyone else was taking the same thing?
I'm worried about taking it because I do sometimes have panic attacks but mainly I don't, I have physical symptoms of anxiety such as numbness and muscle twitching, muscle tension, headaches etc. Some days aren't as bad as others but I am still very anxious about my health even though blood tests have shown me to be in good health. However I don't really think my heart rate is that high and I don't have panic attacks so I'm scared to take this medication as I feel like it may slow my heart rate too much? I'm only 17 and don't want to take anything that will mess with my heart
(I've been prescribed the 80mg slow release tablets)

wubu
19-08-15, 09:22
Propranolol will be for the physical symptoms you get. Your heart will run at a normal rate and will help to stop palps and fast heart beat with anxiety, though Propranolol will allow your heart to function normally ie. it will increase if it needs to.

jackdobs
19-08-15, 10:45
I was put on propranolol about a month or so ago. In all honesty though I've stopped taking it (partly because I didn't feel it was right for me and partly because I'm now on sertraline and I didn't want to be drugged up allll the damn time). As the person above said, propranolol is for the physical symptoms, whereas my symptoms are much more the psychological ones and the reading into any symptoms I do have/get. Propranolol I'm sure works a treat for people who get heart racing or horrible panic attacks as part of their anxiety but for me, it's always been more a cognitive thing than a physical thing.

joneses
19-08-15, 11:48
Propranolol will be for the physical symptoms you get. Your heart will run at a normal rate and will help to stop palps and fast heart beat with anxiety, though Propranolol will allow your heart to function normally ie. it will increase if it needs to.

Thank you so much for the reassurance!

---------- Post added at 11:48 ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 ----------

I was put on propranolol about a month or so ago. In all honesty though I've stopped taking it (partly because I didn't feel it was right for me and partly because I'm now on sertraline and I didn't want to be drugged up allll the damn time). As the person above said, propranolol is for the physical symptoms, whereas my symptoms are much more the psychological ones and the reading into any symptoms I do have/get. Propranolol I'm sure works a treat for people who get heart racing or horrible panic attacks as part of their anxiety but for me, it's always been more a cognitive thing than a physical thing.

I understand that completely, I talked about it with my GP and I'm getting counselling for the cognitive side of anxiety alongside taking the medication to help my physical symptoms :)