PDA

View Full Version : Still waiting

natalie yog
19-08-15, 18:16
I did an over the phone consultation answering questions about my anxiety/health anxiety/depression so I could start my cbt and the woman on the phone said the next time she rings she will give me a date to start. That was just on a week ago does anyone know how long it takes for them to get back in touch ??

---------- Post added at 18:16 ---------- Previous post was at 15:33 ----------

I'm not sure if I should get back in touch with her.

Fishmanpa
19-08-15, 18:28
There's no harm in calling and following up. It shows that you're motivated to get well.

Positive thoughts

natalie yog
21-08-15, 10:53
I rang the counsellors office and I was told that the waiting list is 12 to 16 weeks. Right now I'm crying everyday, my depression/anxiety is off the chart, my health anxiety is making me think my headaches that I've been having everyday is an aneurysm waiting to burst and I'm really stuck now with what to do. The woman over the phone told me that I can talk to my gp (yeah like I haven't bothered him enough), talk to the Samaritans, find online help or go private (something I'm not sure I'll be able to afford. I'm really at a loss right now what to do.

jackdobs
21-08-15, 11:19
I rang the counsellors office and I was told that the waiting list is 12 to 16 weeks. Right now I'm crying everyday, my depression/anxiety is off the chart, my health anxiety is making me think my headaches that I've been having everyday is an aneurysm waiting to burst and I'm really stuck now with what to do. The woman over the phone told me that I can talk to my gp (yeah like I haven't bothered him enough), talk to the Samaritans, find online help or go private (something I'm not sure I'll be able to afford. I'm really at a loss right now what to do.

I'd like to start by giving you a huge virtual hug. I had an over the phone assessment on Tuesday and was told to wait for CBT start date, but then later on that day I got a call asking if I'd like to do the CBT via Skype! So maybe ask about that. Please remember this is temporary even though it seems like hell. This will pass.

natalie yog
21-08-15, 11:57
I really don't know what to do now. Sometimes I feel like stepping out the house and just walking.

MrAndy
21-08-15, 12:41
I really don't know what to do now. Sometimes I feel like stepping out the house and just walking.
try your local rethink.org or your local mind i got good cbt counslelling within a week of applying from rethink
Stepping outside and going for a long walk is actually a good idea,I did a lot of walking and thinking when I was at my worst

natalie yog
21-08-15, 22:56
I'm disappointed with the length of time that people have to wait to be seen especially if their depression is very bad that they feel suicidal. My health anxiety flared up terribly this year especially the past few weeks so I was upset that anyone has to wait to receive help that could actually change their quality of life.

MyNameIsTerry
21-08-15, 23:17
It's because the assessment determined a lack of risk of harm to yourself or others. You go on the waiting list. Mine was a 3 month wait.

I agree though, it is very disappointing and when you see reports about loss of money due to sick days I think about this waiting time.

MyNameIsTerry
22-08-15, 04:38
Natalie,

When my anxiety started 9 years ago it tooks me months to even get an assessment and then I was told I would have to wait a minimum of 12 months for any chance of therapy. So, whilst 12 weeks in my area is still a long time, it's better than before. Bizarrely it's still 12 months wait between IAPT (CBT services) and the next level so somethings not right in my city.

Have you thought of trying a CCBT programme? There are free ones available. This might bridge the gap for you and give you a headstart as well as save you some money.

CCBT programmes are signposted on the NHS Moodzone pages and there are some private ones around too but not all are free.

There is evidence that CCBT (with occassional remote support from a trained therapist, which many give) has similiar effectiveness to face-to-face therapy. Maybe it's worth a try?