PDA

View Full Version : Intro

pirategrrrl
07-02-07, 09:54
Hi There

(This is long - sorry, haven't ever posted this personal stuff on the web before)

Just thought I'd post a little about myself. I came across the site last night while trying to find out more about a type of therapy. I'm 38 and have just moved cities and am about to start a new job. Normally any kind of change really upsets me and can make me feel pretty depressed so I'm very glad that this hasn't happened. I used to be the sort of person who would get incredibly, deeply depressed if I went away for the weekend. At some point I made the connection between moving countries when I was 6 (with my mother who was separating from my father) and feeling really bad.

I think I spent my teen years and twenties with low-level depression and then in my late 20's something happened (a combination of things I think including a good relationship, funnily enough) which triggered PTSD symptoms. For about 9 months I probably slept no more than 3-4 hours a night, had obsessive thoughts and felt like I was pannicking ALL the time. There were times when I was in so much anguish/emotional pain, I thought I'd die and wished I could just curl up and disappear. To cut a long story short I participated in support groups, saw a psychologist once a fortnight (when I could afford it), went to a naturopath and took passionflower to help me sleep (it really worked) and St John's Wort (which also worked).

At the end of this worst phase I was left with constant anxiety which has been helped by a breathing technique, but I find that I still have full blown panic attacks in situations where I feel like I can't escape - public transport, meetings, movie theatres, even listening to someone who I can't "get away" from. And I still have alot of associated negative thought patterns, quick to feel guilty, quick to feel down and hopeless....

Anyhow, I feel like, at my age, time is running out to fulfil my potential - and I don't mean to change the world, I just simply mean to be the best I can be within myself and happy with what I can contribute to society...Not being able to be in meetings is crippling..and guess what? Tomorrow I start my new job and need to spend all day in meetings....AND, my one true career desire is to pursue academia - tutorials, meeting with students, meetings with supervisors - yikes!

I rushed out and bought a Claire Weekes book - I didn't know about her til this site last night, and the thought of, at some point, facing my panic and accepting it and going with it freaks me out.

I'll post a separate question about how people deal with meetings, but glad to be on board!

Cheers

pirategrrrl (who doesn't feel anywhere near as brave as the name suggests)

mazz
07-02-07, 10:41
Hi there welcome to nmp hope you find it as useful as i do.You will find some great people here and make some freinds along the way
Mazz x

trac67
07-02-07, 12:49
Hi,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends.

Take care

Trac xx

'Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain'

yorkylover
07-02-07, 13:25
Hi and welcome to no panic.;):);)

Ellen XX

honeybee3939
07-02-07, 13:41
Hi

And a BIG warm welcome to you, lovely to see you here, im sure you will get some great advice while making new friends on the way.:D

Love

Andrea
xxxx

"If you have a worry turn it into a problem, you cant solve worrys but you can solve problems"

sandlin
07-02-07, 22:52
welcome to the site. Its a great place to meet friends and get good advice.

Linda xx

wobily_lin
08-02-07, 16:23
elo,

A warm welcome to the site..glad ta have ya on board..great support n advice here..n even a laff too n good friends x

Take care,
Lin xxx
"Fear is dat lil darkroom, wer negatives r developed", so positive thoughts okies!!!!!

manmoor
10-02-07, 12:11
H,

A big warm welcome to you.

"When There Was Only One It Was Then That I Carried You."

pamella
10-02-07, 12:24
welcome and well done for having a job and coping with panics, something i cant do yet.

pjrobb

nomorepanic
10-02-07, 14:17
Hi there

A warm welcome aboard.

Hope we can be of some help to you.

Nicola

People will forget what you said
People will forget what you did
But people will never forget how you made them feel