PDA

View Full Version : left hand going numb past 3 days...migraine or stroke?

eastofeden
21-08-15, 15:26
My hand has been getting pins and needles on and off since Wednesday. I have no idea what's causing it. It started when I woke up and got up too fast and had a mini blackout. I'm worried maybe the lack of blood flow to my brain did something. I'm scared of having mini strokes, TIA's or whatever they're called.

I have had numbness in my hand before a migraine. It usually lasts about 20 minutes then I get a bad headache. But no headache yet. Just on and off numbness.

I remember I phoned NHS 24 about having numb arms before and they were worried I was having a stroke. They called an ambulance for me and the paramedic shone a flashlight in my eyes to check my pupils, asked me to squeeze his hands as hard as I could, push my feet towards and away from him, and raise my arms and keep them there for a minute. He then told me since I could do all those things, I wasn't having a stroke.

I take blood pressure lowering anxiety meds too, plus I'm only 22, so I don't think that could be it. I'm hoping it was just a migraine aura. I have heard of hemiplegic migraines and it sounds like my migraines. The numbness the flashing auras etc.
Has anyone who suffers migraines ever had this before?

meche
21-08-15, 16:43
Strokes were my fear a few years ago. I really think you are experiencing symptoms of anxiety. In the past I've had all these things happen to me at different times or sometimes all at once or a combination of these and others :huh:! I went to the doctor a few years ago about the tingling & numbness in my hand and apart from a mild case of RSI there was absolutely nothing wrong with me. Even now when I don't have issues with anxiety I can get up too quick & feel like I'm going to pass out. After a moment I'm fine. I still get odd headaches & other weird head sensations at times but I just ignore it & get on.

As a migraine sufferer maybe you should make a doctor appointment just to reassure you. Hope you feel better soon. xx