PDA

View Full Version : Health Anxiety through the years

natalie yog
21-08-15, 15:48
It all started before I even had a computer at the age of 11 and in school we were given a leaflet about meningitis I read through the symptoms and realised that I had a red dot on my leg, which later became a headache, which later became a stiff neck and then basically I was in my room crying that it was all over for me.
At 18 I had a slight pain in my breast which started during breast cancer awareness month. I read a magazine that had all the symptoms listed which of course listed my one symptom which turned into every single one. I was so terrified to the point that I begged my Mum to let me have my breast taken off. Of course she said no and I stayed awake for several nights crying thinking that it was all over for me.
At 21 I had chest pains which of course meant I was having a heart attacks (which my Granddad had when I was 12 and told me I was a drama queen). I went to my local walk in centre had tests done and was told by the nurse that I should try counselling but of course i believed it was all physically not mentally. So I went home started getting shooting pains down my arm and listened to every heartbeat as I layed in bed crying.
At 23 I bought a mobile phone that was internet ready so here enters DR GOOGLE. Around this time I was suffering with stomach pains that my Mum put down to stress but was that enough ? No because I met a new friend Dr Google who told me I had a whole list of things that I never heard of before and of course all if them equalled woth me needing to go to an emergency ward immediately. So as usual I told my Mum (poor woman) who continued to tell me it's stress and again equalled me going to bed crying (again).
Well now several years past without me really thinking of illnesses until the present day when I'm sitting here typing this with shooting pains in my head, eye, limbs and dizziness thinking I'm about to have an aneurysm after 8 days and why because Dr Google says so.
Sorry about the long post but I still can't believe how many years I've had health anxiety for.

Pepperpot
21-08-15, 17:55
Bless you. Mine is a relatively new thing - in the past 5 weeks I have diagnosed myself with a DVT, kidney failure, cirrhosis of the liver, pancreatitus, a stroke, heart disease - there is more. I am terrified the doctor has missed something when he took my bloods.

natalie yog
21-08-15, 18:34
To tell you the truth I'm shocked how long I've let this go on for and now I've found out that I'll have to pay for private counselling because there's a 16 week wait list on the NHS.

Pepperpot
22-08-15, 00:33
I'm on the waiting list too; it's 6-8wks here apparently but I can see it being more like 16.