PDA

View Full Version : Can it be in my head?

jackdobs
21-08-15, 19:16
Hi guys,

as some of you may have seen, I've been posting about my paralysing fear of oral cancer.

Last week, I got my partner to shine a light towards the roof of my mouth where I have been convinced there is a red patch. He said he couldn't see anything abnormal or weird and it just looked like a normal mouth. I did the same with my friend today, and I was convinced she'd see something (I thought my partner was just trying to comfort me). She said it looks completely normal and can't see what I'm worried about.

My question is...seeing as I see it so clearly when I look and it looks so drastic and serious to me (especially since taking this 50mg Sertraline), I want to know if it is possible that this is in my head? Can you literally see things that aren't there? Because I see it yet others don't SEEM to.

Fishmanpa
21-08-15, 19:39
Can you literally see things that aren't there? Because I see it yet others don't SEEM to.

Absolutely! I recall a member here that swore up and down that the muscles in her hands were atrophying. No one else saw it, doctors, friends or family, yet she was totally 100% convinced it was happening (it wasn't).

It's what I call selective sight. Not much different than selective hearing. We see and hear what we want when our minds and inner beliefs are hyper focused.

Positive thoughts

jackdobs
21-08-15, 19:45
Absolutely! I recall a member here that swore up and down that the muscles in her hands were atrophying. No one else saw it, doctors, friends or family, yet she was totally 100% convinced it was happening (it wasn't).

It's what I call selective sight. Not much different than selective hearing. We see and hear what we want when our minds and inner beliefs are hyper focused.

Positive thoughts

Thanks for your reply. It's so bizarre. My HA has always been pretty much exclusively to do with aches and pains so people telling me "it's not real" just didn't seem right. But now recently it's been much more focused on marks and patching and swelling so when I can actually SEE something that others can't, it seems so odd.

Thanks for your perspective. It means a lot!