PDA

View Full Version : Undecided about CT head scan. Need advice, please

Ditapage
23-08-15, 05:11
Hi all,

Well my doctor has decided to give me a CT scan because I have right sided headaches but he is of the opinion it's tension/psychosomatic. I want the scan because wondering what could be wrong is causing bad panic attacks and I am housebound - if I do go out I tolerate being out instead of enjoying it. When I do go out it's mostly to doctors appointments. The GP office has become my "safe" place!

My main complaint is the right sided tension pain and sporadic ear pain. But if I press on the muscle directly above my ear, it shoots pain into my pain, so does that mean it is muscular?

I don't want the scan because although it will reassure me, I know that I will obsess about the radiation dose. It's my first CT scan in my life, I am 28. I also know I will focus on other health issues ie skin cancer from mole checking, chest issues, blood clots, MS like I have fixated on in the past. I'm scared I am seeking reassurance through a harmful avenue that wasn't really necessary.

I don't know what to do. I have the pains but I don't have other tumour red flags. But not knowing what it is is creating so much anxiety that I am hardly functioning. I'm terrified something is in there and about to kill me suddenly. I feel like I need to get the test or I won't stop obsessing about what if. Has anyone been in this boat?

Booboo111
04-10-15, 01:25
If you don't get the scan, you'll regret and obsess over the what ifs, probably just like you will a little bit of you do get the scan. I've had 3 ct scan in my life - 1 head, 1 neck and 1 abdominal. I'm ok and you will be to. I'd say listen to your doctor and get the scan so you can rule out your headache issues and then move on :)