PDA

View Full Version : If blood tests keep coming back normal then can you 100% rule out medical illness?

cjemc
23-08-15, 08:58
Thoughts and opinions please.
Could some diseases still lie undetected or would most modern blood tests pick up any sign of any infection, inflammation or serious abnormality?

Thanks guys :hugs:

pulisa
23-08-15, 09:13
The answer to the thread title is "no", I'm afraid.

blue moon
23-08-15, 09:17
I had blood tests for everything and all came back clear,still feeling I'll I went to another quack and he did different tests,I have GAD and PTSD so they think that is the cause of me feeling sick.
The blood test came back and was told I had Lupus, I knew it was not anxiety. I had bloods taken in October last year and came back with hyperthyroid,had scans of thyroid ànd there was 4 nodules and 2 parathyroid that were enlarged. I have had my thyroid and 2 parathyroid removed and now take meds for the rest of my life.
So sometimes they do get it wrong.

Petra

cjemc
23-08-15, 09:37
I had blood tests for everything and all came back clear,still feeling I'll I went to another quack and he did different tests,I have GAD and PTSD so they think that is the cause of me feeling sick.
The blood test came back and was told I had Lupus, I knew it was not anxiety. I had bloods taken in October last year and came back with hyperthyroid,had scans of thyroid ànd there was 4 nodules and 2 parathyroid that were enlarged. I have had my thyroid and 2 parathyroid removed and now take meds for the rest of my life.
So sometimes they do get it wrong.

Petra

Good heavens. I can kind of relate to this. I assume and keep being told my bizarre symptoms are anxiety related but like you I KNOW MY BODY isn't feeling right and I have a sneaky suspicion that it may not be anxiety. I say this because I have had "anxiety" from a young age and the way I am feeling since very early 2013 certainly doesn't feel like anxiety to me. I will be pursuing this when I am next at the hospital in October. I am going to push for a scan or some kind of imaging test(s) to evaluate my body further. My skin under my eyes is atrocious sometimes as well.
I found a picture that looks like my eyes underneath...
Here is a link... This is exactly what the skin under my eyes looks like...
http://www.firmoo.com/answer/puffy-eyes.html

---------- Post added at 09:37 ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 ----------

The answer to the thread title is "no", I'm afraid.

Sorry about my snappy reply to your comment earlier this month. :hugs:
I think I may have taken it the wrong way whilst under the influence.:hugs:
I do apologise sincerely.

pulisa
23-08-15, 11:34
You don't need to apologise, Calum. It's easy to misinterpret things online so no hard feelings.

It's very hard with health anxiety because nothing is 100% definite. Also if you already suffer from an anxiety disorder then the GP is going to assume that physical symptoms are anxiety-related unless proved otherwise. It's the "proving otherwise" that can cause the anxiety and doubt.

You've had a whole battery of medical tests, Calum. but you're not convinced that you don't have an underlying physical problem causing your symptoms. Petra had tests which proved she had additional health problems so you're thinking that you could be the same in that something has been missed...?

The hardest thing is trying to break the "what if?" cycle as it can torment you endlessly and add fuel to the HA fire. I'd strongly suggest that you seek help for your anxiety whilst still seeing your hospital consultant so that you have input from both angles whilst trying to recover?