PDA

View Full Version : Heart goes crazy after simple excercise

n3r0x1k
23-08-15, 15:51
Hey everyone,

I'm a bit worried. Here's my recent story first, very briefly. First off, I have GAD & panic disorder (intensely at times), and the last 2 years (I'm 33 years old, male, apparently no heart problems other than diagnosed bening PAC/PVC's, Sinus Tachy, etc) I've been in a more panicked phase, so I isolated myself a lot, no more excercise except occasionally but that gets me feeling all worked up and full of symptoms. So I've been basically been sit or sleeping at night for the last 2 years, and lately, my panic is getting better and I want to return to my normal life, but the least of physical efforts to improve my cardio makes me feel like I'm going to die. It's now become sort of a vicious cycle because I move less from fear of symptoms and being so overly-sedentary doesn't improve my cardio. For the moment, I can't even conceive of going back to work, but I want to, but I also don't want to die by getting myself in shape.

I haven't gained that much weight though, in case that's relevant, I just eat less with this sedentary lifestyle (5'7" (170cm), 164 lbs (74 kg)).

So yeah, even just brisk walks often triggers my heart to do runs of PVC's or PAC's, on top of it racing more than what I'd consider normal (140-165 when walking), and feeling very uncomfortable when those "runs" occur (multiple in a row). I did some VERY light dancing for a few minutes this morning and it did it again, forcing me to stop.

My main question and concern is: Is it possible that all of this, those intense physical symptoms, could be caused by just being inactive for so long? Back a few years (and I was out of shape then) or more in my twenties, I could do a lot of physical excercise and yeah, sometimes get these heart flutters/palps/PACs/PVCs in a run but it happened with higher intensity excercise, now just for barely starting to excercise or brisk walks. Should I worry like I am?

Jules1979
23-08-15, 19:20
Hey there! Have you had an echocardiogram? I noticed you said you have been diagnosed with pvs and pass and sinus tach. I too have all of the above which makes exercising scary. As long as you have had a full cardiac work up I think you should start slow with working out and then increase! My cardio said that working out is the best things we can do for our heart ( obviously) lol but with people like us who suffer from anxiety it can be very difficult!!! I haven't in so long because I too like you have been sedentary! Good for you for starting, don't give up just take things slow and if it keeps bothering you then you should go see your dr.

n3r0x1k
23-08-15, 20:22
Hey there! Have you had an echocardiogram? I noticed you said you have been diagnosed with pvs and pass and sinus tach. I too have all of the above which makes exercising scary. As long as you have had a full cardiac work up I think you should start slow with working out and then increase! My cardio said that working out is the best things we can do for our heart ( obviously) lol but with people like us who suffer from anxiety it can be very difficult!!! I haven't in so long because I too like you have been sedentary! Good for you for starting, don't give up just take things slow and if it keeps bothering you then you should go see your dr.

Although I don't only encourage reassuring comments, thanks, that reassured me. I've passed an echo last year, as well as in my teens maybe 15 years ago, and apparently everything's okay with my heart. I just have a hard time convincing myself, or even when I do, these symptoms always put me back in question, especially being triggered by such light excercise. Can it be that someone be that out of shape?

Jules1979
24-08-15, 05:04
My cardiologist said it was ok if I had pvs during exercise and after exercise. He said as long as your hearts healthy that I'd me fine! He did say not to go full bore at first and two ease in to it. Last year when I was doing strength training I'd always have the runs of pvs and it scared the crap outta of me but the longer I did it the better I felt!

MyNameIsTerry
24-08-15, 09:44
I know what you mean, I found that after months of sitting about in the house I was struggling with going for daily walks. It's amazing how anxiety affects the body so much.

I really struggled with exercise as one of my early big panics occurred during cardio work. That planted a deep seed for me, a core belief, and I avoided it for years. I'm not there with it yet but my attitude has changed a lot and I did some Behavioural Experiments with my CBT therapist to bring on symptoms that helped a bit but it's a long road getting your subconscious to change so it doesn't see those symptoms but you can work on your reaction until then.

n3r0x1k
24-08-15, 12:45
My cardiologist said it was ok if I had pvs during exercise and after exercise. He said as long as your hearts healthy that I'd me fine! He did say not to go full bore at first and two ease in to it. Last year when I was doing strength training I'd always have the runs of pvs and it scared the crap outta of me but the longer I did it the better I felt!

I know what you mean, I found that after months of sitting about in the house I was struggling with going for daily walks. It's amazing how anxiety affects the body so much.

Thanks to both of you for taking the time to reply, means a lot to me to know I'm not the only one.

MyNameIsTerry : When you mention struggling with daily walks, do you mean you also had onset symptoms before you even panicked?

blondielady
24-08-15, 19:11
I have tachycardia and exercise is the best thing for me. Obviously there are different types of heart rhythm issues, but if your cardiologist has given you the ok, then start slow and start exercising. If a brisk walk bothers you, take a more leisurely walk, but walk, don't sit. I tend to just leap right into exercise and then overdo it and get palpitations and aches the next couple days. I find that my heart is more prone to racing if I'm out of shape and then make a few trips up and down the stairs for example. Also make sure you are eating well. Having vitamin/mineral deficiencies can bring on heart issues. I once was in the ER having tachycardia and found that I had low potassium levels and was told that triggers all kinds of issues in the body. Since then I've been eating lots of bananas and drinking coconut water and have a lot fewer palpitations. Make sure to stay hydrated.. dehydration can upset the mineral balance in your body too.

---------- Post added at 18:11 ---------- Previous post was at 18:07 ----------

Oh and wanted to add, I have had many MANY palpitations over the course of my life (sometimes daily) and through most of that time I've exercised.. even things like P90x. You will eventually find out triggers. For me it is caffeine, diet drinks with fake sweeteners, seasonal allergies, and low potassium. I have cut out as many of these things as I can - although obviously can't do much about seasonal allergies - and very rarely get palpitations now. I hail coconut water... high in potassium and it keeps me hydrated at the same time :).

n3r0x1k
24-08-15, 21:22
I have tachycardia and exercise is the best thing for me. Obviously there are different types of heart rhythm issues, but if your cardiologist has given you the ok, then start slow and start exercising. If a brisk walk bothers you, take a more leisurely walk, but walk, don't sit. I tend to just leap right into exercise and then overdo it and get palpitations and aches the next couple days. I find that my heart is more prone to racing if I'm out of shape and then make a few trips up and down the stairs for example. Also make sure you are eating well. Having vitamin/mineral deficiencies can bring on heart issues. I once was in the ER having tachycardia and found that I had low potassium levels and was told that triggers all kinds of issues in the body. Since then I've been eating lots of bananas and drinking coconut water and have a lot fewer palpitations. Make sure to stay hydrated.. dehydration can upset the mineral balance in your body too.

Oh and wanted to add, I have had many MANY palpitations over the course of my life (sometimes daily) and through most of that time I've exercised.. even things like P90x. You will eventually find out triggers. For me it is caffeine, diet drinks with fake sweeteners, seasonal allergies, and low potassium. I have cut out as many of these things as I can - although obviously can't do much about seasonal allergies - and very rarely get palpitations now. I hail coconut water... high in potassium and it keeps me hydrated at the same time :).

Thanks for all the advice.
I've been told in one blood test years ago that my potassium level was low and the nurse had said "eat bananas", which I did for a couple of years. Then last year, I learned that too much potassium can cause hyperkalemia (which can be severe, even fatal) and last time I wanted to get potassium supplements, the pharmacist told me I shouldn't take those unless I was been told by a doctor. So now I'm confused, what's enough/not enough/too much. My last blood test showed that my potassium level was okay, but maybe I'd eaten something that made it okay the day before, can't remember.

I'll try more hydration though. And thanks for the rest.

MyNameIsTerry
24-08-15, 22:12
Yes, I've always been very symptom focused and panic more over sensations in my body as opposed to thoughts.

So, even going for a walk meant I would be scanning for any new sensations which would be seen as a problem. I found I would be having more breathing issues with cardio type exercises and as my heart rate increased naturally I would start to notice this and the anxiety would kick in. This was probably because when I hit my worst point I was literally just sitting on the settee all day afraid to do anything including showering, eating and even going to the toilet as I would interpret new sensations as possible threats.

I have asthma too although it is all managed and problems are rare. But I found I would have a lot of issues keeping my breath and struggled with performance. I know my peak flow readings have dropped bit I also think it is because I have a habit of tensing my diaphragm muscles a lot so my breathing is restricted.

I found being back out and walking very tiring at first. The funny thing is I decided to spend 3 months in the house to break my OCD issues over obsessive walking and when I started walking again I felt so out of shape and it took a week to very back into it. Prior to those 3 months I had been walking daily for years at speed, with shopping. Usually 5 miles and more and a lot of it uphill.

n3r0x1k
24-08-15, 22:47
Yes, I've always been very symptom focused and panic more over sensations in my body as opposed to thoughts.

So, even going for a walk meant I would be scanning for any new sensations which would be seen as a problem. I found I would be having more breathing issues with cardio type exercises and as my heart rate increased naturally I would start to notice this and the anxiety would kick in. This was probably because when I hit my worst point I was literally just sitting on the settee all day afraid to do anything including showering, eating and even going to the toilet as I would interpret new sensations as possible threats.

I have asthma too although it is all managed and problems are rare. But I found I would have a lot of issues keeping my breath and struggled with performance. I know my peak flow readings have dropped bit I also think it is because I have a habit of tensing my diaphragm muscles a lot so my breathing is restricted.

I found being back out and walking very tiring at first. The funny thing is I decided to spend 3 months in the house to break my OCD issues over obsessive walking and when I started walking again I felt so out of shape and it took a week to very back into it. Prior to those 3 months I had been walking daily for years at speed, with shopping. Usually 5 miles and more and a lot of it uphill.

Wow... can you be my friend? Haha. I used to take huge walks too, or rollerblade, even biking 25 km's (distance) at a quick pace, so yah, I totally get you.

The being overly aware about body sensations, I so know what you're talking about. It's less worse this year though, it's just harder (for me) when I have runs of PVCs cuz they're harder to ignore.

I remember last summer I'd bring my cell phone next to the shower in case I'd (specutively) "have a heart attack while in the shower". You speak about eating, I did that back in automn, even started threads about it here, where my pulse would go super high after eating, but I also found that the psychosaumatic factor is huge.

blondielady
24-08-15, 23:46
Eating potassium rich foods will not harm you. Supplementing too much could. When they make potassium supplements they put sometimes more than the daily recommended amount, so they don't generally suggest taking a supplement unless your doctor is checking your potassium levels regularly. Bananas and coconut water only have about 20% of what you need in a day, but they are a good way to boost it. Tomatos and Potatos are also good.

MyNameIsTerry
25-08-15, 05:49
Wow... can you be my friend? Haha. I used to take huge walks too, or rollerblade, even biking 25 km's (distance) at a quick pace, so yah, I totally get you.

The being overly aware about body sensations, I so know what you're talking about. It's less worse this year though, it's just harder (for me) when I have runs of PVCs cuz they're harder to ignore.

I remember last summer I'd bring my cell phone next to the shower in case I'd (specutively) "have a heart attack while in the shower". You speak about eating, I did that back in automn, even started threads about it here, where my pulse would go super high after eating, but I also found that the psychosaumatic factor is huge.

Yeah, but we would be well knackered by the time we met...it's a lot of miles between our countries :D

I know what you mean about the phone, for me it was asthma inhalers. I would be carrying one and then another just incase the other one didn't work, was dropped or just didn't have an effect. I would carry one everywhere. I used to keep some Diazepam in my wallet long after when I had used them sparingly to start on any meds. I've ended up giving the pharacist Benzo's back as I always tried not to take them.

I was ok with eating until my relapse and the Duloxetine ramped my anxiety up bigstyle. At this point I started feeling the sensations of stimulation from food and fearing it. I would be panicked when eating due to that and also the fact I couldn't breathe through my mouth. The feelings in my body, the heating up from higher protein meals, bloating, bad heads, etc. That was a very bad point for me and it took weeks to break this by staring intentily at the TV power button which did the trick in the end. Some of it went on longer with the bloating and bad heads but not panic, just more anxiety.

Because I had one of my big panics when exercising, I also attached the issue of sports supplements to it because I had added something that was a bit strong for me. Up to that point and alongside my growing anxiety I was training and taking various thihngs with no problem. At this point it took me many months to even start taking Vitamin C, paracetamol and anything potentially stimulating was a big no-no. I had to just expose myself to them bit by bit. I'm still doing this now here & there but it's something I have regrown a lot of my confidence about.

I'm surprised about that over potassium because those supplements seen commonplace. We don't tend to digest a lot of our food if we live on processed food diets so you might find a fair amount is lost out of the supplements too. Minerals aren't digested very well anyway as they usually have a salt bound to them that the body doesn't really like so they often chelate them to improve absorption rates.

Blondielady - wow, thats brave doing something like p90x with this. Have you looked into magnesium at all? Doesn't that have some connections in this area?

n3r0x1k
25-08-15, 12:54
Yeah, but we would be well knackered by the time we met...it's a lot of miles between our countries :D

I know what you mean about the phone, for me it was asthma inhalers. I would be carrying one and then another just incase the other one didn't work, was dropped or just didn't have an effect. I would carry one everywhere. I used to keep some Diazepam in my wallet long after when I had used them sparingly to start on any meds. I've ended up giving the pharacist Benzo's back as I always tried not to take them.

I was ok with eating until my relapse and the Duloxetine ramped my anxiety up bigstyle. At this point I started feeling the sensations of stimulation from food and fearing it. I would be panicked when eating due to that and also the fact I couldn't breathe through my mouth. The feelings in my body, the heating up from higher protein meals, bloating, bad heads, etc. That was a very bad point for me and it took weeks to break this by staring intentily at the TV power button which did the trick in the end. Some of it went on longer with the bloating and bad heads but not panic, just more anxiety.

Because I had one of my big panics when exercising, I also attached the issue of sports supplements to it because I had added something that was a bit strong for me. Up to that point and alongside my growing anxiety I was training and taking various thihngs with no problem. At this point it took me many months to even start taking Vitamin C, paracetamol and anything potentially stimulating was a big no-no. I had to just expose myself to them bit by bit. I'm still doing this now here & there but it's something I have regrown a lot of my confidence about.

I'm surprised about that over potassium because those supplements seen commonplace. We don't tend to digest a lot of our food if we live on processed food diets so you might find a fair amount is lost out of the supplements too. Minerals aren't digested very well anyway as they usually have a salt bound to them that the body doesn't really like so they often chelate them to improve absorption rates.

Blondielady - wow, thats brave doing something like p90x with this. Have you looked into magnesium at all? Doesn't that have some connections in this area?

I do the same (and still do, have one in my wallet) with the benzo's. Most times I don't need them and I end up throwing them out because even if I wrap them in aluminum foil, they end up being quite melt or at least I don't trust them as much after > week in my wallet. The lengths we go, heh?

You mention the heating/bloating with high proteins, I used to fear those specific triggers for maybe 6-12 months back when I was 16 (1998), and was convinced I was going through something dangerous. But I became so vigilant about it that I believe it worsened the symptoms, making them seem more dangerous. It's happened again since, but more often heart-related, and when I started focusing less on it, it became less of an issue. Of course, it's hard to break out of a habit, especially when you're concerned about your very life.

Yah, well after Blondie's post, I called the Kidney foundation's toll-free line (I have kidney failure but it's only stage 2) and asked them about the potassium supplements and they told me I should ask my doctor first, so I guess I'll stick back to bananas meanwhile.

AnxiousM
25-08-15, 19:52
Hey,

As you have anxiety you will worry about the big things like your heart and the big C and things like that. If you are hyper sensitive about your heart and anxious you will be constantly going into fight or flight mode which will naturally cause you to release chemicals to get your heart racing as the body is thinking 'get me out of here!'.

I had an SVT which caused my heart to race over 180bpm, recently had a heart ablation to fix it. They put adrenaline in me to set it off after the ablation and my heart went to 230bpm! You'd be surprised what that muscle can take.

My advice to you is to try to forget about it. I used to think stuff it and work out as hard as I could. My heart was always ok afterwards.

Get yourself fit. Your max target heart rate for exercise is something like 220BPM minus your age.

You'll be fine. Been there, got the t shirt, not as hypersensitive now lol

MyNameIsTerry
26-08-15, 05:42
I do the same (and still do, have one in my wallet) with the benzo's. Most times I don't need them and I end up throwing them out because even if I wrap them in aluminum foil, they end up being quite melt or at least I don't trust them as much after > week in my wallet. The lengths we go, heh?

You mention the heating/bloating with high proteins, I used to fear those specific triggers for maybe 6-12 months back when I was 16 (1998), and was convinced I was going through something dangerous. But I became so vigilant about it that I believe it worsened the symptoms, making them seem more dangerous. It's happened again since, but more often heart-related, and when I started focusing less on it, it became less of an issue. Of course, it's hard to break out of a habit, especially when you're concerned about your very life.

Yah, well after Blondie's post, I called the Kidney foundation's toll-free line (I have kidney failure but it's only stage 2) and asked them about the potassium supplements and they told me I should ask my doctor first, so I guess I'll stick back to bananas meanwhile.

I don't have HA so whilst I might consider something is causing it and look into it, I don't worry it will be something terrible. I've just always been symptom focussed with my GAD and struggled more to resolve physical symptoms. Thats why the food, supplement, even water at first, we an issue for me. You get through them as you become more stable and start to recover because you can start exposing yourself to them.

Yeah, definately ask a doctor about that. I didn't know you had such a serious condition to contend with and surely you need advice on any nutrional change? Do you think that is impacting on your physical health? Surely it puts your body under more strain? What does your doctor say?

If you go down the coconut route, blondielady will probably tell you about the useful fats & acids in them too. Caprylic acid helps poke holes in the bad bacteria in the gut so the good gut flora can get rid of them easier. I'm not sure if thats in the milk & water though but I'm sure she will know.

fallingstar
26-08-15, 07:33

They're right - mineral imbalances can throw you off so much. I landed in the hospital with muscles that hurt so bad and I could barely move - had a 102 far. degree fever and they found I had low potassium. They did a heart test there to make sure my heart was okay. It was :). Very scary experience though. 3 days of potassium supplements and then I've been eating bananas, tomatoes, milk, orange juice more now. I also drink even more water than the tons I was drinking before. I walk up to 4 miles a day sometimes due to no car and it's very hot in the US this year for the summertime - 90 or 95 degrees during a couple weeks (got cooler recently thankfully). That made me sweat out a lot and sometimes that'll throw off your vitamin and minerals balance. Solution? Daily vitamin and I try to eat a banana every other day. I use milk in my coffee everyday too.

As far as you, I can relate - I was actually there about a year and a half ago. I tried exercising again using my XBox 360's personal trainer and the Dance Central games, and weights. I got palpitations one day and put it all down. I eventually started running about 6 months later, keeping track of it on Nike Run app with another. Although I didn't complete the challenges and I ran 2 times a week at best - I got back to it ok and my heart palpitations had stopped! Yay! So I think if you get back to exercising you will be okay. I was. Definitely go see your GP first to a) ease your mind and b) it's good to consult your GP if you have concerns prior to starting an exercise regimen. Good luck with everything. Hope you can get back into exercising. Exercise does wonderful things for your mood too!

n3r0x1k
28-08-15, 09:50
Thanks to all of you. I've been more busy lately and now just about to drift off (sleep) but just wanted to let you guys know I've read your replies and appreciate them very much.

I think I'll just force myself to worry less about it and ease myself back into more excercise gradually.

Yeah, definately ask a doctor about that. I didn't know you had such a serious condition to contend with and surely you need advice on any nutrional change? Do you think that is impacting on your physical health? Surely it puts your body under more strain? What does your doctor say?
My nutrition has to be changed dramatically but moreso because of the fact my cholesterol levels are too high. I learned that 5 months ago when having bloodwork for my kidneys. But nutrition is a long process to change completely, at least for me, when you have to find substitutes for many things that you didn't care for before. As for my kidneys, although it's a degenerative disease, I could theoretically live up to 90 before hitting stage 5, like it could happen much sooner. To be honest it doesn't really worry me because it doesn't kill you overnight. I'm more concerned about my heart than anything else. My HA is only cardiovascular oriented, and while minerals eliminated (or not enough) by the kidneys do affect the heart, such as potassium, I'm at a stage where (from what I understand) it won't kill me either. As for more nutritional advice, etc, I'm supposed to see him in a couple of months since it's nothing that changes overnight anyways.

I didn't quote all of you but thanks heaps!!!

Princess23
30-08-15, 22:06

Your not the only one I take my phone when I have a bath or a shower... I am constantly aware of sensations all the time especially when exercising and for me going for a run is the worse, I find myself scanning for any sensations it's a nightmare and I hate it!!! Having read how bad it has got for you it has comforted me somewhat as I still cannot except the fact that anxiety can physically debilitating!!! Which is my problem :scared15: