PDA

View Full Version : Still facing concerns about Blood Pressure

zemikec
24-08-15, 21:55
I know what's coming... These are what ifs. But hearing about how illogical my thoughts are really helps me understand my cognitive dysfunctions.

Backstory:

Went to the doctors about 3 times this year for anxiety. Each time I went, my blood pressure was anywhere between 130 - 135 over 80 - 85. My pulse is always elevated.

Current situation:

I saw these readings on my medical records and freaked out. I assumed anxiety in the doctors office. I bought an Omron 3 Series Upper Arm monitor. I used it and got readings around 110 over 70. Which is perfect. I gave the monitor away satisfied that I got a good reading.

A week passed and I read online articles about blood pressure monitors being wrong or something. So I bought another one. An Omron 7 Series Upper Arm monitor. Same readings as the other one. Don't worry. I sold this one.

Questions:
1. How low are the chances that both blood pressure monitors are wrong by like 20 millimeters mercury?

2. How low are the chances that a fit 25 year old has high blood pressure?

3. How low are the chances that I have Secondary Hypertension due to some underlying disease?

4. Is it normal for both pulse and both numbers of blood pressure to go up in a doctors office?

daisyflower
24-08-15, 22:49
Why are you even worried about those readings? I'm 29 and my blood pressure is always around 140/94 in the doctors office because of my pulse rate, haha! I only have to see a blood pressure monitor and mine goes up! I had a 24 hour monitor put on so the Dr could check I could safely have anesthetic and I averaged at 135/89 so was given the all clear as its over 140/90 day and night that it's considered high.
I'd be happy if I had your readings :/ Everhone in my family has blood pressure on the high side, some people just do.

Sounds like you have white coat syndrome to me. Do yourself a favour and stop taking it, if the doctor isn't worried then you shouldn't be either

zemikec
24-08-15, 22:54
Why are you even worried about those readings? I'm 29 and my blood pressure is always around 140/94 in the doctors office because of my pulse rate, haha! I only have to see a blood pressure monitor and mine goes up! I had a 24 hour monitor put on so the Dr could check I could safely have anesthetic and I averaged at 135/89 so was given the all clear as its over 140/90 day and night that it's considered high.
I'd be happy if I had your readings :/ Everhone in my family has blood pressure on the high side, some people just do.

Sounds like you have white coat syndrome to me. Do yourself a favour and stop taking it, if the doctor isn't worried then you shouldn't be either

I think I have a bit of a problem with health perfectionism.

This all started when I was sent to the hospital with a high pulse. It was due to dehydration, but now my heart pounds when I get into the doctors. I was unsure if my blood pressure should go up too.

I have a doctors appointment in October, and I don't want my doctor pulling me aside at the end and tell me that we need to work on my blood pressure or something if its like 135/85 again.

Fishmanpa
24-08-15, 23:07
I know what's coming... These are what ifs. But hearing about how illogical my thoughts are really helps me understand my cognitive dysfunctions.

Backstory:

Went to the doctors about 3 times this year for anxiety. Each time I went, my blood pressure was anywhere between 130 - 135 over 80 - 85. My pulse is always elevated.

Current situation:

I saw these readings on my medical records and freaked out. I assumed anxiety in the doctors office. I bought an Omron 3 Series Upper Arm monitor. I used it and got readings around 110 over 70. Which is perfect. I gave the monitor away satisfied that I got a good reading.

A week passed and I read online articles about blood pressure monitors being wrong or something. So I bought another one. An Omron 7 Series Upper Arm monitor. Same readings as the other one. Don't worry. I sold this one.

Questions:
1. How low are the chances that both blood pressure monitors are wrong by like 20 millimeters mercury?

3. How low are the chances that I have Secondary Hypertension due to some underlying disease?

4. Is it normal for both pulse and both numbers of blood pressure to go up in a doctors office?

I won't offer reassurance as it doesn't help. That being said, being that you know full well that this is your anxiety talking and the rational side of you knows 100% what's going on. So... you answer the questions from your rational side... (you know the answers).

Positive thoughts

zemikec
24-08-15, 23:13
I won't offer reassurance as it doesn't help. That being said, being that you know full well that this is your anxiety talking and the rational side of you knows 100% what's going on. So... you answer the questions from your rational side... (you know the answers).

Positive thoughts

This is what my rational brain says. Keep in mind though... Those numbers in the doctors office were real. That's the problem. Hard to convince myself they are solely due to anxiety.

A. Two devices recording the same reading probably means they both work.

A. With no family history... probably pretty small.

A. I truthfully have no idea. My doctor isn't concerned about anything. I have no other major symptoms that would suggest a glandular issue.

A. No clue. I see mixed answers. I would think yes.

Fishmanpa
24-08-15, 23:14
^^^ That's an A+! ^^^ :yesyes:

Positive thoughts

PokerFace
24-08-15, 23:18
I recently spent a lot of time in and out of hospital due to developing high blood pressure towards the end of pregnancy. From my understanding..

Electric BPM tend to be less accurate than having your blood pressure taken manually. Every time my blood pressure was taken with an electric BPM and it was found to be high, they would recheck it manually and it would always be lower, sometimes by 20 or so both top and bottom.

Low

Low. Talk to your GP when you see him if you're concerned of this.

Completely normal. As daisyflower said, it's called White Coat Syndrome. Raised BP and heart rate whilst being seen by a doctor/nurse is very common.

None of the numbers you've stated in your OP actually count as high BP. 140/90 is the starting point for hypertension, 140/90 being the starting point of hypertension. Try and stop obsessively checking your BP. Try to only have it checked at your doctors appointments. If you can't wait, try and limit it to once a day, then once a week, then once a month and so on til you break your habit.

zemikec
24-08-15, 23:54
I recently spent a lot of time in and out of hospital due to developing high blood pressure towards the end of pregnancy. From my understanding..

Electric BPM tend to be less accurate than having your blood pressure taken manually. Every time my blood pressure was taken with an electric BPM and it was found to be high, they would recheck it manually and it would always be lower, sometimes by 20 or so both top and bottom.

Low

Low. Talk to your GP when you see him if you're concerned of this.

Completely normal. As daisyflower said, it's called White Coat Syndrome. Raised BP and heart rate whilst being seen by a doctor/nurse is very common.

None of the numbers you've stated in your OP actually count as high BP. 140/90 is the starting point for hypertension, 140/90 being the starting point of hypertension. Try and stop obsessively checking your BP. Try to only have it checked at your doctors appointments. If you can't wait, try and limit it to once a day, then once a week, then once a month and so on til you break your habit.

I was hoping the electronic BPM were a little bit more accurate. Both of the ones I used were AAMI validated to be within +-3 millimeters mercury of my actual blood pressure.

So I'm just hoping they are accurate.

Fishmanpa
25-08-15, 00:54
So you're going to grab onto a stranger's statement concerning the accuracy of home BP testing units on an internet forum and focus on it? Listen to the rational voice. The rational voice doesn't lie to you! Your anxiety voice wants you to worry about things you know deep down aren't true! You paid good money for those testing units and have taken your BP at home more than most.

Positive thoughts

zemikec
25-08-15, 01:01
So you're going to grab onto a stranger's statement on an internet forum and focus on it? Listen to the rational voice. The rational voice doesn't lie to you! Your anxiety voice wants you to worry about things you know deep down aren't true!

Positive thoughts

Good point.

I did some minor research which is typically not a good thing, but I uncovered that secondary hypertension usually causes a blood pressure of above 160/100. Also mostly caused by kidney disorders which I am sure I don't have as I was tested. Or by primary aldosteronism which I have exactly zero symptoms for.

I'm just going to let this uncertainty about my future doctors appointment go. He has never been concerned before. He has quelled all my concerns before and I am switching to him because hes a good doctor who doesn't jump to conclusions.

Thanks all!

zemikec
26-08-15, 18:24
Just as a follow up.

I called my doctors office to discuss the results of my blood pressure tests in the past. The nurse said the exact same thing as everyone on here. My blood pressure was good. It was obviously due to anxiety. Nothing to worry about at my age.

So... I know that's reassurance, but I tend to put alot of faith in medical professionals.

I'm feeling much better.

Emilym80
28-08-15, 05:48
It's good that you're feeling better. I usually have quite low blood pressure- around 110 instead of 120- but at the doctor's it's usually around 130! I think you've got nothing to worry about like they said :)

ricardo
28-08-15, 08:27
Just as a follow up.

I called my doctors office to discuss the results of my blood pressure tests in the past. The nurse said the exact same thing as everyone on here. My blood pressure was good. It was obviously due to anxiety. Nothing to worry about at my age.

So... I know that's reassurance, but I tend to put alot of faith in medical professionals.

I'm feeling much better.

With all due respect why are you keep asking members when you have the answers yourself.

I am sure everyone especially those with anxiety wished their BP was as yours when you first went to the doctors, in your opening post.

I don't understand your concern when you are actually saying you tend to put a lot of faith in medical professionals.