PDA

View Full Version : Just got a bar job........need advice.

ruddyfrick
24-08-15, 23:30
So I suffer from adrenaline based social anxiety and a lack of self confidence and have been out of work for over a year. Got on a training course and now it seems every bar wishes to hire me....Great right? :unsure:

I often avoid social interaction where possible but when I have to I am really good at masking symptoms. Except it seems in a bar(was on work placement) where every few mins I'm interacting with a different person. Eventually my ability to mask is torn down and I get hand tremors while serving, easily confused, panicked in my work flow and o god the sweating. Comments like 'your hands are shaking are you okay' from younger girls to 'stay calm' from the older folks which makes it worse.

I guess I figured I would adjust to the situation (Its what humans do after all) but it never happened and never was comfortable during my placement.

So when i had an interview at the place where I got the job. I went to the doctors first and explained everything and so he prescribed me propranolol 10mg to be taken 2 - 3 times a day and Escitalopram to be taken once a day.

I tooke 10mg prop before the interview and was fine and got the job. However now is the night of the interview and I have tried that Escitalopram and feel very nauseous and a bit low. Will these side effects wear down by the time i start (in around 5 days of doses) or will it be worse? I could power through now but if it gets worse I wont be able to perform my duties well i think.

Also working in a bar good or really really bad idea? :whistles: lol

AnxietyDJ
25-08-15, 12:12
I had Escitalopram for around 6 months or so and yes, for the first couple of weeks you may feel a little off - personally I just felt a little more drained and low than usual - but this wears off quite quickly. Most medications of this type have an initial adjustment period where your body gets used to the change, but it is nothing to worry about :)

I hope you get on ok in the new job - very well done for getting it (and for even going on the training course in the first place!). You should definitely give yourself a pat on the back :)

Best of luck!

missgatsby
25-08-15, 20:36
I am sorry that you are going through this. I think one of the worst things about social anxiety, especially in this case, is that the people you are interacting with probably do not have a lot of experience with it. It is hard for really outgoing people to grasp social anxiety.

How long was your placement, and how long have you been working? I do think you will adjust. It might take longer than you imagined, but stick with it. I think it will be really good for you in the long run. :yesyes:

It is awesome that you took the initiative to take a job like this!

swgrl09
25-08-15, 22:46
Fight through those initial side effects ... I started escitalopram while working, and it was tough as it messed with my sleep a bit, but here I am over two months later and I feel great. It is so worth it in the end.

theharvestmouse
27-08-15, 21:22
Well done for going out there and looking to get a job, you are not letting SA from hold you back thus far. Just remember that even someone without any anxiety would get nervous when starting off behind the bar. So that is not unusual, and it's perfectly normal. One thing I would say is don't try to hide it, there is no point as you already know. Instead just be open and talk about it, it might even help to relax you. I think once you get over the initial nerves then you will get used to it. It won't always go great but don't put yourself down. I have been working whilst suffering with anxiety, some days I'm fine, other days I may feel anxious and nervous but I just accept it.

Good luck.

Sunflower2
27-08-15, 21:38
I worked in a bar once a week on a Saturday night for a year and although it was quite intimidating, as I'm a very quiet and shy person, it increased my confidence massively. I was so busy I didn't notice being nervous about speaking to people as much, and I tried to remember how it feels when I'm in the customers shoes.. (They often feel like the awkward ones!)

Anyway, I really enjoyed it and got a lot out of it, I'd never worked in a bar before either so I was also learning how to pour beer properly, serve alcohol and count up the bills in my head! So you've got nothing to lose by trying it. Worst case, you can't cope and end up quitting. But at least you'd have tried. :)