PDA

View Full Version : Swollen red lymph node. Very afraid long post

khaleesifreakouts
25-08-15, 01:05
So, I had my wave of health anxiety come back a couple of weeks ago with a mole, and upon discovering it is not showing any abnormal signs I vowed to prevent getting myself in a rut of panic attacks and obsession. During the previous week I have been feeling a little under the weather (slight fever, mild cold) of which I did not think anything of, then about 5 days ago I noticed enlarged lymph nodes under my arms, which I paid little attention to. However the next day I felt enlarged lymph nodes in my neck and I sighed as I had a hard time with these about 4 years ago after a particularly nasty bout of flu, they took a long time to go down & my mental state at the time was not good. Fast forward a few days and I have just one very swollen lymph node in the neck/just under the chin. It has become red and up until today incredibly sore. I do admit I have prodded this but I can only think the worst & now I have a genuine reason to worry about my long standing fear of mouth cancer. About my risk factors: I'm mid twenties have never smoked and was never much of a drinker due to my health anxiety although for about 2 of the 3 years of being a student I drank more than I would have liked. I was also a wine drinker which worries me as I know it's high in units but I dislike pretty much any other alcohol (also its more expensive so my mentality was that id drink less as id go out with a budget) I'm now becoming to hate myself for having a couple of years of letting go the reins on my health precautions & putting myself in danger. Anyone else relate at all? Came on here because when I tell people in my family they act as if I am crazy!

daisyflower
25-08-15, 07:45
I remember asking the doctor if he thought I had mouth cancer when I could feel something scratching me all the time. He actually laughed and said, 'are you are 70 year old man who has smoked a pipe all your life? No? Then you don't have mouth cancer.'
Sounds like you have a virus and your glands are just doing what they're supposed to do. You could even have a bit of a throat infection. I'm a massive worrier but I wouldn't be worrying if I was you, especially with you recently not feeling well, that just confirms that it's because of that x

khaleesifreakouts
25-08-15, 15:16
Thank you for the reply! I guess I'm just afraid as I've never had such a peculiar lymph node issue before, as I've never known one go red. I have read a lot about 'shotty' nodes although I have no idea what they are. I am a bit feverish again today...I guess I'm just going to have to try and keep sane until I can get an appointment.

daisyflower
25-08-15, 20:49
The redness is probably from touching it. I think people call shotty lymph nodes ones that just remain there like little marbles and don't go down again.
The fact you aren't well should make you feel relieved, that's obviously why it's swollen. Honestly, don't give it a second thought

khaleesifreakouts
26-08-15, 02:05
Oh so that is what a shotty node is...I presume that follows an infection?