PDA

View Full Version : banged head

BRAMBLE
25-08-15, 02:42
hi all ive nt been here fr a while party as anxiety has got even worse and i find it harder to even red about things without trigeering

anyways ive managed to bang my head on the corner of cupboard door about an hour ago and im so scared of goign to sleep since.i feel so silly .i even rang ghte emergency doctors and he said its unlikely to have cused much damage

says headache is normal and blurrd vision and tiredness.i cant see properly and i feel dizzy but im not sure if thats all the panic symptoms.i didnt bang it too hard its cut a little bit thats all as was very edge.i used ice pack but doctor says that may trigger more headache which i have now

told me to go to bed and sleep.the trouble is i dont sleep well as it is and my daughter is away all day tommorow.she is my carer as i am housebounf through ill health as it is.and over the last year my health anxiety has increased

MyNameIsTerry
25-08-15, 04:38
Hi Bramble,

This poster with HA banged her head by leaning back onto a picture frame. She had a load of concerns about doing damage to herself and there are some good replies that may help you.

Inparticular this one from Munchlet:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=167940&highlight=concussion

Hi

I work in a school and we had some paramedics in the other day to visit the children. As we were having a first aid meeting at the same time we actually asked them some questions regarding head injuries.

They told us that if you vomit after a head injury (and they said it's normally more than once) you should visit A&E and get checked out. They also said if the injury is enough to knock you out then again that warrants a visit. What they then said is generally at A&E they won't do anything initially other than operate a watch and wait system but vomiting and losing conciousness is a key sign as to whether you are concussed or suffering from some kind of internal trauma.

If neither of those occurred then you can normally relax and just expect a sore head for a while! Take care

My mum was a trained nursery nurse, back in the days when they trained at the nurses colleges with them, and she has always said the same. She worked in schools until about 10 years ago and they had sessions just like this with medical professionals coming in and they always said what the paramedics said here.

I've banged my head loads of times. I've got an old wardrobe from my grandma's house after she died and it has one of those sharp metal rails inside and I've hit my head on that many a time (following by some swearing!)

The doctor would know exactly what to do here, concussion type issues are very basic to them.

If you can't sleep, just try to rest. You may feel tired enough and sleep at some point but if you don't resting is good too.

Don't feel silly. I have OCD and I used to touch hundreds of things just incase something bad happened, so if you are being silly, how silly was I being? :hugs:

BRAMBLE
26-08-15, 02:46
hello and thankyou Terry

I feel such a failure at moment as i managed to get to bed and tried to sleep but as soon as i started drifting of bang i had a major panic attack.i camed down but then had another.

in the end my daughter refused to go on her trip very angry with me for messing up again.she siad there be no point as shed just be worried al time away.ive managed to reschedule her trip for her by paying amendment fees but im not sure how i will be

im still not alseep tonight but readign the other thread has helped me thankyou Terry.i will also check out your free mindful resources very helpful thankyou

MyNameIsTerry
26-08-15, 07:29
Hi Bramble,

I'm glad that helped.

I can remember that stage of anxiety where you are afraid to let control slip even to fall asleep and it was a very tough period for me in both my first breakdown and later relapse. We tend to jerk ourselves awake too. If that happens, it is normal and happens to anyone, I see my parents do it when they are nodding off but it's our reaction that is the issue as we think it's something bad.

Get whatever rest you can. Your body will catch up and make you sleep when it needs to. This will pass, it's a raw time and your anxiety levels will decrease so you can at least sleep again.

I know you feel bad because it has interupted your daughter's trip but you have rebooked it for her and this wasn't intentional on your part. If this was an accident or a physical illness then someone would still feel like they have let their daughter down because they feel like a burden and that they have spoiled it but someone in that position would then say to themselves that it was just one of those unavoidable things in life. I think we have to practice some of that thinking too because we don't want to be anxious and of course you want to see your daughter happy so you are bound to be upset with yourself over it.

She will get over it, you're her mum and she loves you. Sometimes we get annoyed when things interupt our lives and we snap but at the end of the day, family will always matter the most. You are why she is here and have given her so much in her life so she will understand in time.

Good luck with the Mindfulness stuff, I hope it helps as it helped me.

fallingstar
26-08-15, 07:39
Bramble,

This is actually something that triggers panic attacks in me; banging my head on things. Did this on the monkey bars at the playground with my daughter a month ago. I was so scared I gave myself a concussion. I worried and worried and I was totally okay - I was okay the other 100 times as well. I can be very clutsy! I understand it's easy to panic over banging your head on something because you're brain's in there, etc. However, if your doctor isn't concerned that's a good sign. And it'd be highly unliked to get concussed from something like that - but ouch that much have really hurt at the same time!
Hope your head feels better now! :)

eastofeden
26-08-15, 07:42
A concussion that would cause brain injury has to be a very, very, VERY hard one. We're not talking about banging your head on your bedframe, the car door, or a cabinet door. We're talking falling from a height, getting hit by a travelling baseball, things like that. People always cite Natasha Richardson as an example that you have to be careful with head injuries, but it's important to remember that Natasha fell when she was on an icy ski slope. Think about how hard even a small piece of ice is - now think about how hard sheets upon sheets of ice, tightly packet together, on the ground must be. A chunk of ice is enough to smash a windshield or a window. That's how hard she had to hit her head. Ice does not move when it is hit. It has no shock absorption. Even the ground or grass is relatively soft when you hit it, and offers shock absorption from force. A cabinet is not going to kill you. I have hit my head dozens of times of cabinet corners, car doors, my bed etc.

Check your pupils with a torch. If they get smaller when the light shines on them, then I assure you your brain is working and you're fine. My aunt taught me this, as she is a nurse. My best friend used to faint a lot, and always banged her head off the floor. Smack, really hard, numerous times. So far she's been okay. She even hit her head when she fell off a horse. It was so hard that she blacked out. I thought she had a brain injury. We actually went to A&E and saw an emergency doctor, and that's all she did for her. She checked her pupils to make sure they were even, and then sent her home. I thought she was going to get a brain scan or something. If people can survive stuff like that, then you'll survive too.

BRAMBLE
29-08-15, 03:29
thankyou again Terry

thankyou fallingstar and eastofeden

im not too bad with my head.the next day i had more of a terrible neck ache instead of my head.i think it may have been as id been so tense but it was terrible pain more than my head and stopped me panicing about my head so much i think

ive managed to get bitten by a stray cat tonight instead and set of panic nce again.i dont know why i do it

i was so worried about tetanus i ended up ringing the doctors again despite my bite not bleeding or being punctured it barely scratched the skin but it was a local unhomed stray which had often been outside and tried to get in my door and i put my hand down to shoow it and it bit me

i trauled the net for advice about tetanus and was worried about it not beign up to date.in end because of all the googling i rang the gp.apparently though they dont advise booster jabs anymore in uk.your covered jabs cover life as long as up to date and only give you somehting if its a deep wound or expected infected and as my finger was barely touched i think the gp will definately be adding hypochondria to my notes :(

Emilym80
29-08-15, 04:08
Hi there,

I can relate to this- I was the person who Terry was referring to! If you'd seriously hurt yourself you would know by now. As it turns out I banged my head hard enough to have made a dent in the soft tissue (as confirmed by my doctor) but I was still fine. And the dent is still there, lol.

Also, Natalie Richardson hit her head on a rock going at quite a high speed and chose not to see a doctor even though her ski coach etc strongly recommended that she do so. You have to hit your head so, so hard to really hurt yourself.

All the best

MyNameIsTerry
29-08-15, 06:24
It's that old phrase, "one pain lessens another". I have this with some of my current physical problem (sciatica, acheing knees & hips) as if the anxiety gets worse, they take a back seat. I guess we can only concentrate on so much sometimes.

Nice to see you around, Emily, but in a good way not in a glad you are suffering way :doh: your thread seemed a good one for Bramble to save awaiting responses.

Emilym80
29-08-15, 13:20
Hi Terry,

Thanks for that :) I'm doing much better now; not because treatment worked, per se, as this year I've gone through two pretty hopeless therapists, but because I've been so busy over the last few months I've been consumed with other things. Plus, I've found coming here less helpful. I try and come occasionally, though, and use my experience to help people.

Sorry for being off-topic. OP, I think you're fine RE tetanus- your doctor would definitely not run the risk of you contracting it.