PDA

View Full Version : Help ! Very anxious, just broke the blinds in my rented apartment

GirlAfraid23
25-08-15, 09:34
I'm renting an apartment from a private landlord, I was opening the Venetian blinds this morning, using the wand - I don't know if anyone has any experience of these?
As I was turning it, the wand snapped off.
The metal hook seems to have broken completely. I'm very anxious as we've only just moved in and haven't got enough money to pay for repairs.
It was a genuine accident.

Should we attempt DIY or contact the landlord?
Any advice would be appreciated.

ricardo
25-08-15, 09:45
When you moved in I presume you signed a short leasehold agreement as did the landlord.

Is there a managing agent, usually an estate agent ?

An inventory should have been arranged either by you or the agent, pictures taken of everything basically to show the condition of walls,doors, furniture etc.

You are responsible if the blinds were in working order when you moved in, nevertheless they maybe old and it's just one of those things and the landlord may take a lenient attitude towards the incident.

It is advisable to contact the landlord.

If you want to know anything else,don't hesitate to p.m. me.

GirlAfraid23
25-08-15, 10:16
When you moved in I presume you signed a short leasehold agreement as did the landlord.

Is there a managing agent, usually an estate agent ?

An inventory should have been arranged either by you or the agent, pictures taken of everything basically to show the condition of walls,doors, furniture etc.

You are responsible if the blinds were in working order when you moved in, nevertheless they maybe old and it's just one of those things and the landlord may take a lenient attitude towards the incident.

It is advisable to contact the landlord.

If you want to know anything else,don't hesitate to p.m. me.

An inventory has been done and at the time obviously the blinds were in working order.
As I said in my original post, I was literally just opening it this morning and it snapped off. It seemed a little stiffer than usual so perhaps there was a fault in the mechanics of it.
I'm all by myself today as my partner is working, I feel very worried and I am concerned he will be annoyed at me as he tends to think I'm accident prone as it is.

How much could it possibly cost to repair? If they charge us I mean.

ricardo
25-08-15, 10:40
I would just tell the truth and relate to the landlord or the managing agent what has happened and I am sure it can be resolved .
If the blinds are new one might suspect a defect and if they are quite old it isn't unreasonable to suggest that "wear and tear" comes into it.

Don't worry too much,but you must report it today if at all possible.

I have a property with slated blinds in one room which I bought as new and within two weeks of the tenants moving in the pull strings broke. I just phoned up the manufacture,who replaced the pull strings,it was a pretty easy job to replace .

ricardo
26-08-15, 10:27
Hello

Have you resolved the blinds issue with your landlord.

Fishmanpa
26-08-15, 13:11
If these are just standard blinds in a window, they can be had for just a few dollars at most dollar type or Walmart type stores. Truly, why even bother speaking with the landlord about that? My wife and I rent and take care of the minor things in the home like that (blinds, a new toilet seat or shower head etc.). We have a cat and he messed up the blinds once or twice while playing in the window. If we experience larger issues (plumbing, the AC etc.) we contact the landlord and have it taken care of.

Positive thoughts

ricardo
26-08-15, 21:23
If these are just standard blinds in a window, they can be had for just a few dollars at most dollar type or Walmart type stores. Truly, why even bother speaking with the landlord about that? My wife and I rent and take care of the minor things in the home like that (blinds, a new toilet seat or shower head etc.). We have a cat and he messed up the blinds once or twice while playing in the window. If we experience larger issues (plumbing, the AC etc.) we contact the landlord and have it taken care of.

Positive thoughts

Because the lady is anxious and asked for the correct procedure as to how to deal with it.I happen to be a landlord.

GirlAfraid23
27-08-15, 18:52
Because the lady is anxious and asked for the correct procedure as to how to deal with it.I happen to be a landlord.

I managed to get it sorted with the landlord :) they are going to try and order a part, otherwise replace the blinds.

MidnightCalm
28-08-15, 09:54
I broke the blinds in my apartment, a year ago, still haven't been able to tell my landlord from fear. It's not just that, the oven stopped working 3 months ago, the carpet has started to fray so bad near the door I'm slowly becoming able to see the concrete underneath. The fridge is dripping water, I put mirrors and tv's and wallpaper on the wall and then re read my tenancy agree to and saw this wasn't allowed. I also got gifted a kitten for my birthday the year before last and he's still here... And we're not allowed pets. Think I should be more worried haha you'll be fine.

ricardo
28-08-15, 10:03
MidnightCalm

To put it mildly you are in a bit of trouble:ohmy: Nearly every leaseholder doesn't allow pets but others like you take that risk.

With regards to the delapidations and oven not working and carpet fraying excessively since you moved in, I would take photos and again you really need to speak to the landlord or his agent. I am presuming you left a deposit which is usually 6 weeks, being held by an independent.

P.M. me if you want to.