PDA

View Full Version : Am I losing my mind? Forgetful confused?

sammie13s
25-08-15, 22:59
I'm at rock bottom.. Forgetfulness.. Feeling confused all the time. Constantly questioning my mental health. Like am I actually losing it? My daughter was talking to me before about her dad and for that split second my mind wouldn't process and I wondered who her dad was.. Very frightening and strange. Iv recently had a MRI scan due to dizziness and a constant headache for 12 weeks which has come back normal. I mean if I had a brain disease would this have been seen? I'm so frightened. I'm constantly saying people's names and addresses in my head to make sure I'm not forgetting. I'm so upset. I'm 29 with a god job (post woman) 2 beautiful kids aged 4 and 9 and a lovely partner. I can't keep putting them threw this and seeing mummy poorly and cry all the time. It's just awful on them x

AnxietyDJ
26-08-15, 00:53
I'm pretty sure you would have had something picked up on the scan if it was serious, but if you are really concerned then maybe schedule an appointment with your GP and discuss everything you mention here.

Being under a lot of stress with anx and other things can definitely send your brain into overload and make things that you feel like you should do easily a little more difficult, so try not to worry too much.

I hope you can start to feel better soon! :)

MyNameIsTerry
26-08-15, 07:46
I think GP's in this country are well aware of possible red flags when it comes to memory as they do the initial assessments for many of them. I would hope a scan would show something up.

What I do know is that cognitive problems are extremely common with anxiety. Try remembering a word or name when you have brain fog. You have to remember that the brain works by sending signals back and forth and for this it needs certain neurotransmitters. Some of these neurotransmitters such as Serotonin, which has a role in memory, are knownj to be lower in people with anxiety or depression.

So, how about looking at diet? These neurotransmitters need food and some are higher in different ones than others.

If you are on a SSRI, it won't be creating more Serotonin, only inhibiting what is already there though 2 actions that it takes, with the final one coming into play after about a month of taking them. You still need to put fuel in the tank though or you are limiting the effects of the meds in a way.