PDA

View Full Version : Tips of how to cope please.

Wench
26-08-15, 14:49
I am agoraphobic. There I've said it! My symptoms are the inability to leave the house on my own even for short distances now. I can walk with a dog or ride my bike anywhere but just not walk on my own. Even walking a short distance to the shop is a nightmare. I become dizzy all of a sudden and have to stop dead. I find myself breathing and walking faster and walking as though i am drunk. Does this sound familiar to anyone and do you have any coping strategies? This is ruining my life!

sial72
26-08-15, 15:42
Completely familiar and you have explained the feeling very well, when you say about the drunk feeling.
This happened to me when I was young and the biggest help for me was Claire Weekes books and a determination to never give up xx

23tana
26-08-15, 17:46
Baby steps. Go a short distance until you feel comfortable with it, then build up a bit more.

MyNameIsTerry
27-08-15, 06:28
Have a look at this members post. There are others showing how they have achieved things too.

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=165700

She is updating how she is getting along and I think you will find it inspirational to see someone go from struggling to leave the house to where she is now.

This NHS guide is a useful one for Panic & Agoraphobia. It will explain a lot of the thinking we do & why. It also has a good explanation (with forms you can use) of ERP and how to structure things so you start small.

http://www.moodjuice.scot.nhs.uk/panic.asp

I've heard someone else on here talk about agoraphobia and how they take their bike with them everywhere. It's a safety behaviour that needs to be changed but at first at least it gets you out and thats great.

I have a dog, they are great helpers with anxiety & depression. Do you need to walk the same routes or can you vary things? If you can't maybe thats an option for the small steps mentioned because then you have your dog with you for a bit of extra support until you are strong enough to do more on your own?

bekw89
27-08-15, 09:43
Omg you have summed it up perfectly, this is the feeling I also get. Especially when I am walking back towards home.