PDA

View Full Version : Potassium & Health Anxiety

fallingstar
26-08-15, 15:57
Wondering if anyone else had been diagnosed with hypokalemia (low potassium) - mine was temporary/mild they said. Heart tests came back completely normal and okay and I've been taking vitamins daily now. My issue right now is I'm having health anxiety over muscle cramps/heavy feeling in my calves. Last time it happened I had it there but it was more severe - plus right now I feel totally okay in all my other muscles which I did not the last time. Plus I've been okay for a month. If it hadn't have resolved I would've known by now right? Also they say that more than 1/2 of Americans (think it's actually more than that) and other countries as well, are not getting even half of their recommended potassium intake. I know there's ways you can lose potassium faster; sweating, etc - which I do when walking obviously. So I freak out about the what ifs. I know better though. So of course I'm going to put this down to stupid health anxiety.... and the calves hurting from walking so much and not stretching prior (was on my feet all day yesterday and walked a mile before work). I was also on my feet almost all of yesterday and I was also on my feet for 8 1/2 hours a night Sat and Sun at my overnight job and pulling heavy pallets where I do use a lot of leg muscle. I'm totally buying orange juice and banana for lunch today. It's just sad to me how badly my health anxiety has affected me lately mentally. It's quite depressing at times. And I'd love to get over it. I have a couple of people in my life suggesting I go get therapy; CBT, books or acupuncture - the acupuncture suggestion was my mom lol. Supposedly it works - but she's talking to her daughter who has a well documented fear of needles or did she forget that? :blush:

So a month ago I was in the hospital for a few hours at 3am because I had awful full body muscle cramps/aches - was shivering etc. Turns out I had a fever and flu like symptoms but also my potassium was at a 3.3 I believe and it's supposed to be a 3.6 at the lowest.

Back in 2008 I also was in the hospital (that trip was due to palpitations brought on by an old antidepressant I was on and stress and anxiety). They told me my potassium was low - gave me nothing.

This more recent visit last month, they gave me a potassium supplement in the hospital - double dose and then the same meds to take for the next few days 2 times a day - which I did. I never went back for a follow up appointment - just started taking a multi vitamin and eating the every other daily banana and drinking more milk etc. to get more potassium than I normally would. I'm also making sure I'm fully hydrated on my mile+ walks back and forth to the bus stop. I try to eat 3 meals a day - but I rarely do or they're very spaced out. I've been eating mainly carbs.

Any suggestions? Lifestyle changes I may have not thought of myself yet?

Thank you for your help and for listening to me ramble on and on. :yahoo: