PDA

View Full Version : UTI wont go away

Pigeon
27-08-15, 07:02
Hi
Sorry to post about this again but no one answered my last post and I'm a bit desperate.

4 weeks ago I started getting symptoms of a UTI which I tried to treat myself with cranberry/lots of water etc. It didn't work after a week so I went to GP who prescribed 5 day course of antibiotics and sent sample off for testing.

The antibiotics seemed to work straight away but the symptoms came back 2 days after finishing the course. I thought this was just some bladder sensitivity so waited another week before going back to GP. GP confirmed infection was sensitive to ABS I took but prescribed somed different ones, which I have been taking a week - but they're not working. So it's been nearly a month with constant symptoms which aren't horrendous but not nice all the same.

I am going back to GP tomorrow but I'm scared . My mind keeps going back to bladder cancer. I wondered if anyone could give me any reassurance? Have you had similar symptoms and got it sorted? Any tips to stop my mind wondering. I have to confess Dr Google got the better of me and whilst I read some reassuring things, I scared myself too.I've tried using CBT technique of going through things in a rational way to try to get things in proportion but I a getting obsessed.

I'm going on holiday in a few days and want to enjoy myself without this hanging over me. Any advice would be appreciated.

sammie13s
27-08-15, 14:56
Funny you have put this as iv had a couple of water infections these past 2 months. X

MrAndy
27-08-15, 15:28
I used to get horrible bladder infections that would take two lots of antibiotics to treat
Sometimes it take a different antibiotic to treat the infection,keep drinking lots of water to flush your bladder out
stop googling its not cancer its just an infection

Pigeon
27-08-15, 21:32
Thanks Mr Andy. That reassures me a bit. But can't understand why two lots of ABS haven't cleared it. I don't usually get Utis so don't have anything to compare with
I really regret googling.

Penny19
27-08-15, 21:52
Drink plenty of lemon barley or cranberry juice. Avoid tea and coffee. Sometimes Drs start u off on certain anti-bi before your urine sample comes back, hence needing another anti bi to clear infection up

Pigeon
27-08-15, 21:57
Thanks Penny 19. I've had 2 courses already and the doctor said the first course should have worked. But they didn't and neither have the second,. That's why I'm worried:weep:

Penny19
27-08-15, 22:05
Try not to worry sometimes our bodies develop resistance to certain anti bi.......

Pigeon
28-08-15, 08:42
Penny, thanks for your reply. Feeling a bit better this morning but will go to GP as planned. I think its sensible as still have some symptoms.

Sometimes a few calm, kind words can make a big difference. Xx

MrAndy
28-08-15, 08:52
mine would leave my bladder irritable for a few weeks afterwards,I cant stress how much you need to drink drink and drink

Pigeon
28-08-15, 09:42
Mr Andy (love the name by the way - makes me smile as it sounds so friendly) thanks - everyone keeps saying the same so it suppose I should listen!

I suspect this is how it started in the first place. I don't drink a lot and am famous for making a cuppa and then leaving it. I rarely drink water and can go the whole day at work without thinking to go to loo (even though I need to) as I get so engrossed in what I'm doing.:ohmy:

snowflake293
28-08-15, 10:33
I had a UTI once that would so stubborn it took 2 lots of different antibiotics to shift and it left me feeling sensitive for a long time after. In all I think it took about 2 months to go away. I was a nervous wreck at the time convinced it was something sinister (think I visited my GP about 6 times!!) I was in a real state. Then it just went away! What helped me was drinking loads of water to flush it out. Sometimes UTIs can hang around a while xxx

Pigeon
28-08-15, 12:14
Thanks snowflake. It seems this is pretty common. Not for me though - hence the panic. This will be the third visit to doctor in 3 weeks. Off on holiday on Monday so was hoping to get it sorted before. Will have to see how it goes but it does help to know others have ad similar (not that I'd wish it on anyone of course )

---------- Post added at 12:14 ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 ----------

So, been to GP and got a third dose of AB's - much stronger this time. She said she'd never heard of the type of bacteria causing the symptoms. She will refer me to urologist if this lot don't work.

No blood/protein in wee now which is one good thing. Feeling a little better about things , but........

Munchlet
28-08-15, 17:20
Hi I used to suffer from UTI's a lot. In fact the last bad one I had took three lots of different antibiotics to clear.

I googled and found a product called D Mannose which I now use at the first sign of symptoms and touch wood I've not had to have a course of antibiotics since.

It's a natural product which we basically produce in our bodies anyway but in small amounts, it works because it's sweet and the bacteria prefer it to the lining of the bladder so they attach to it and then get flushed out easier.

If you are prone to them it might be worth having a look into as it worked for me and like you I was getting really worried as antibiotics didn't seem to be working. The trouble is UTI's are really resistant to antibiotics and sometimes it does take a few courses to get rid of the infection but I'm sure it's nothing else other than a nasty infection.

As other posters have said it's quite common to have symptoms even after the infection has gone as it just leaves everything a bit sore and sensitive which is why I started to take the D mannose.

Take Care

Pigeon
28-08-15, 20:04
Thanks Munchlet. I have read elsewhere about D-Mannose. I've not had recurring UTI before so if it doesn't go or comes back another time, I'll give it a try.
It's very kind of you to take the trouble to reply and I feel reassured by yours and the other comments. Xx

CeeCeeCee
28-08-15, 20:35
Hi Pigeon, would you say that the symptoms are a little like period pain too? I have tummy pains and frequent weeing but my test came back negative. I'm also scared that it is something bad. I just want to know how many other things it could be other than you know what, but I can't find that out as I don't want to google or it will scare me more probably :-/

Pigeon
28-08-15, 21:14
Hi ceeceecee

Yes it does feel a bit like period pains although I don't have them any more so it's not that with me.

I'm afraid I have consulted Dr Google already, which I know is wrong, but at least I found out that there is something called intersistial cystitis - which is like cystitis but without any infection or bacteria. Not very pleasant, but certainly not fatal.

I do know that "you know what" of the bladder usually affects people over 60 and usually men and is more common in smokers.And there's usually a lot of blood. You've not mentioned any of these things so I guess you'll be ok
It sounds to me like your symptoms could be anxiety related.

Shall we make a deal? Let's both stop worrying, shall we? Sure we're both just fine. :bighug1:xxx

CeeCeeCee
29-08-15, 11:29
Thank you Pigeon, I have also just heard of that type of cystitis, can you get it after menopause too? I am past menopause, not had periods for about 9 years. I still have the pains, I'm wondering if it's female related, like womb or ovaries. I'm feeling ok in most other ways, and am trying to keep occupied but I'm going on holiday next weekend and don't want to be worrying all the time. I keep thinking that just because I have HA doesn't mean I can't actually get something real.

Anyway, I'll keep the deal, best as I can anyway :-)

Pigeon
29-08-15, 16:35
Yes you can. I'm post menopausal too. Maybe we should start a club! Xx

CeeCeeCee
29-08-15, 18:23
Hmmmm, I wonder if it could be that then. Are you still having symptoms? Going back to docs Tuesday, not sure what to tell him though.
Yes, we should, the menopause club haha! x

Pigeon
29-08-15, 19:15
Yes, still having symptoms. Much milder than I had them at first but definitely still there. I am on my third lot of antbiotics.

I'm off on holiday on Monday so hoping its all gone by then. It will be 4 weeks of symptoms by then.

CeeCeeCee
29-08-15, 19:49
Thanks, at least it's not just me. So doc gave you them even though it wasn't a positive test for infection? Maybe I'll ask for some on Tuesday, might be an infection of somewhere else causing the pain and symptoms. You are off on holiday too, like me, it's worrying to think of going away like this but if you can do it, I can do it! :-) :shades: x

Pigeon
29-08-15, 21:01
I think the dipsticks they use aren't as precise as testing in a lab. So you may have got infection when dip sticks don't pick it up.

But the symptoms you have may be unconnected? Frequent weeing may be stress related. Tummy pains may be too but I used to get groin pain when I had a trapped nerve in my back.

PM if you feel like a good moan. :D

CeeCeeCee
29-08-15, 23:36
Thanks, Pigeon, that's very kind :-)

eastofeden
30-08-15, 00:33
This happened to me, I had a UTI which went away after antibiotics but the returned very quickly. It was very painful at night and incredibly uncomfortable to pee, which sucked because I needed to pee every 10 minutes with the infection, and I started getting stabbing pains in my kidneys at one point. Turns out it wasn't a bacteria that was causing it, but rather a yeast infection. The antibiotics only made it worse because they kill off all the good bacteria down there and it encourages a yeast infection. You'd be better going back to your Dr and asking for canesten or an anti-yeast pill. In fact, many doctors offer a fungicide after a course ofantibiotics because antibiotics kill off all the good bacteria in your gut and the rest of your body, and that's when yeast starts to thrive. Make sure you take an oral anti fungal pill as well as a pessary/cream, otherwise it won't work. It worked for me :)